Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pick an amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, May 4, 2005.

1. I need to make a purchasing desicion here pretty soon, so I'm interested to see what your choice is:

• Ampeg SVT4-PRO
    • SWR SM-900
    • Fender Bassman 300 PRO

I know the last one is an all tube head, but if we can try and avoid the tube vs S/S issue on this one...

2. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Depends on what music you play....Id probably go SWR

3. heavy rock and jazz

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I don't know if they are available in SA, but you might also consider a Carvin B1500, which I personally would (and did) take before any of those you mentioned. Here's a recent Bass Player review (if you can get past the reviewer's somewhat strange writing style):

http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=90&storycode=8383

I like mine a lot. Lots of power, big and clean sounding, with the option of adding some harmonic goodies with the drive control (though, as the reviewer says, it never gets really dirty).

5. Slipsen

Slipsen

Jan 11, 2005
    Sweden
    Dude, the svt4pro is the thing to buy.

6. Have you tried the Fender 8OO PRO? A friend of mine owns one, and I must sya, best sounding fender I have ever heard.

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    What cabs and basses are you using? I think either the 900 or the ampeg would be great, with the ampeg sounding juicier and thicker but being heavier, noisier, maybe less reliable, less "hifi". The SWR sounding cleaner, faster, being rock solid reliable, light weight, and having a great sounding clean as a whistle DI.

8. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    of the heads you listed, I would vote for the 4-pro.

9. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    +1 for the Ampeg 4 pro

10. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    out of those choices, definitely the SVT-4 pro.

11. Thanx for the input guys! Strange no one went for the all tube fender?

so far I'm liking the Ampeg over the SWR, but I haven't played the Fender yet...

12. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I tried the Fender Pro 300 all tube monster.

It's a heavy dude, but the Tone comes with it too !!! Absolutely awesome Fat Tone !!!!

13. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'd avoid SWR, because the Hi-Fi tone might not mesh with what your lookin' for. Toss it up between the Fender and 4-Pro. If volume is a concern, I'd put my money down on the Fender.

14. I would go for the 'Peg. Though the SWR is a fine amp too.

15. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'd go for the Ampeg out of those, but would probablly check out the Groovebass and GBE600/1200, both of which are aclaimed for their versitility.

16. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i really like all 3, i'd personally go for the ampeg 4pro because it seems like a very good compromise between the hybrid clean sound (SWR), and all tube weight (fender), i'm actually GASing for a fender tbp-1 which would be fender 800 territory

17. n4t1v3

n4t1v3

Feb 15, 2005
    Don't know if you made a purchase yet or not, but I have the SWR 350 and I hook it up to TBC 2x10 cab with horn. We play old school Metal (think Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer) and sounds killer. Not one person who has heard it thinks otherwise. It all depends on the sound your looking for, but I vote SWR all the way, Ampeg is good sound too, my buddy uses one. Not enough bottom for me however. Fender wouldn't probably hold up to hard rock, but for Jazz Rock it might be the right choice.

18. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    For rock or metal, the Fender 300 Pro hands down. I love this amp. I might be picking one up in a few months when I have the dough. It is a very versitle amp, and can actually be played very clean at high volumes like the SWR but can dial in close to a true SVT tone, not the imitation of the SVT 4 Pro. The Fender would be the loudest can can get the most overdrive if thats what you are looking for. One thing that you may not like is that it takes a while to dial in.

19. I'll be playing the head through 2 Eden D210xst cabs and am competing with an Orange OR120 half stack and a very loud drummer, so loudness is important, but I don't think any of those amps will have a problem in that department - contrary to what n4t1v3 said, I found the SWR to be lacking in the bottom end and the Ampeg to have loads of it!

The SWR seems to clip quite early when pushing the lower frequencies, esspecially if you boost the Aural Enhancer a bit...

can't wait to try out the Fender, but it weighs twice that of the SVT4-PRO!