pick backups and pick clips

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by retitled, Jan 31, 2005.

1. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    iv always seen these mainstreem guys with pics comeing out ever every oraphis on their gear. at least 50 of them, i have like 5 back up picks on my pick clip straped to my strap, i can understand having my 5, back ups, i think 5 is a resonable number, but why have like 50? i know they dont drop 50 picks a show and they dont toss 50 picks into the audience per show. and its not like you cant start using yoru fingers for the remainder of a song, im sure if u drop all ur picks during one song u can at least pick one off teh ground between two songs or a break,help me out, im lost

how many of you guys have 50 spare picks?
  2. It depends on how many I have with me, if I brought the clippy pick holder-mic stand thingy, or if I have spare duck tape to tape picks to the mic stand. Usually around 5 I guess- I might drop one or 2 at a show- but I like to be prepared.

As far as acts like Kiss where they have mic stands with picks for the express purpose of playing for a second and tossing out into the audience... it's a great way to get your audience walking away with a piece of the band.
  3. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    funny you should metion Kiss, because i was watching a Kiss video when that question came to me :) well james hetfield does it. i guess its nice to do when ur a mainstream guy, it would make the audience happy. i guess me doing it at a local club would be stupid hehehe
  4. Somewhere around 8 years ago or something the band I was in was doing a show in a middle school overnight thing. They had all kinds of games for the kids to play and keep them up all night. These kids were absolutely thrilled to have a live rock and roll band playing in their school. It was in the cafeteria. The whole time from load in until we were playing, kids were asking all kinds of questions- 'ooh, is that your amp?' 'is that your guitar?' 'how loud is your guitar?'

While we're playing a kid asked if he could have a pick, so I flipped him one. Then I thought I'd be a rockstar and flip a bunch out- like I'd always seen Gene Simmons do. After the show one kid came up with 4 picks and says "here, you dropped these." :D
  5. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahaha*cough* *cough**passes out* (thud)

*Regains consciousness*hahahahahahahahahahahaha...etc. :D :D :D

That is one of the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.
  6. I've had 'fumble finger' nights, where having a bunch wasn't overkill and all the dropped picks bounce off to the same place missing socks go to in the dryer. There's also nights that maybe the 4 Bass Ales and the 4 Jim Beam shots caught up to me a little quicker...

In any case, it doesn't matter if you don't need them, but they're there if you do.
  7. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    well for my heavy metal band i have alot of trilling and alot of heavy accents and when my hands get sweaty picks tend to slip or i hit to hard and i dont have a good grip and FWOOSH off it goes...

well that and the fact that my pick clip has 5 slots in it hehe
  8. ROFLMAO!!!

That's what I'd call a lesson in humility! :D
  9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I only used to have 2.

I actually only used the pick on my short scale eb3, I have never used a pic on any of my 34 or 35" basses ever.

Just a quirk, but I like being proficient at both fingerstyle and

Next I gotta work on my arco.

Edit: I only used to have 1 plectrum and 1 backup , but I always used the larger triangular shaped ones, a 'heavy'. The larger shape allowed better grip, and gave better attack on the string.
  10. I think that's a great idea, since a short scale sounds inherently "muddier". The pick helps getting more definition.