Pick correct bass cabinet for TC Electronic BQ500 amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tinklawing3, Nov 22, 2020.

1. tinklawing3

tinklawing3

Aug 21, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Ok I’ve got a dilemma.
    I have one 4x5” Phil Jones Bass cabinet 8ohm 400 watts.
    Amp is TC Electronic BQ500 one speaker output and the amp is rated at 500 watts 4 ohms.
    I want to add another cabinet. I’m sure it’ll need to be 8 ohm probably 400 watts or more. If so do I buy a parallel splitter for the single amp output and Y to the two speaker cabinets or do I go from amp to one cabinet then out of it to the other cabinet?
    I’m also trying to figure out what kind of 8 ohm cabinet to get. 1x12”, 2x10”,2x12”, 1x15”?
    Playing outside a lot since the pandemic.
    Thanks for any help!!

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Your PJB cabinet is a C4, right? It should have two Speakon connectors on the back, marked Input and Link. These connectors are in parallel, which is what you need for adding another cabinet. Your connection path is:

BQ500 —> C4 Input, C4 Link —> next cabinet.

Use standard Speakon cables. Nothing else necessary.
    Pairing a cabinet with another of the same model is the surest way to get more of the sound you already like. Often cabinets with different speakers sizes and configurations don’t play together well. Only your ears can tell.
    Your C4 is an 8 ohms cabinet, so the cabinet you add should also be 8 ohms in order to keep your BQ500 happy with a 4 ohms load.

Redbrangus likes this.
  3. dandbassman

dandbassman

Aug 26, 2007
    Waxhaw NC
    As a BQ500 user I have 4 110 8 ohm cabinets. I can use 1, 2, or all four cabinets. I wired series parallel to use all four as an 8 ohm load. I always stack vertically. There is not a venue I cannot play to make the most appropriate combination. Two of the cabinets are Eden CX110 and the other two are homemade tweeterless cabinets modeled to the size of the Edens loaded with MCM Audio Select 55-2981 woofers. Just a thought ymmv

Pairing like cabinets is the way to go

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020