Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pick damage?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Jun 14, 2005.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    ive got a friend who plays guitar and i think he strumms way to hard but i was just wondering if i play with a pick and strum really hard will it damage the strings? and will those slides when u slide the pick up the string will they damage the strings? or since its made of plastic will it only damage the pick inself?

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    it really depends on the quality of ur bridge. I know that i can beat the crap outa my american j with a pick--i''ve literally destroyed picks--but my mexican j would surely kick me in the nuts because it's stock bridge would be a little (not alot) worse for the wear. I'm sure it would be ok as long as u can adjust everything back to the way you want it.
    in Re: to your other question: no, no damage will be done to the strings, as far as i know. again, it depends on ur strings, but i'm sure it's fine. ur strings will surely die eventually, so you might as well play ur ass off in the process.

strings can be changed, bridge assemblies can be reassembled, but hardcore, charismatic players will always be cool (and/or greatly respected).

3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    so i wont irreversably damage anything like the bridge or pickups? it can all be fixed if i do screw it up?

4. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    if u want, when i get home ill take pics of my old neck (i jsut switched it to fretless), the pickguard etc to show u the extent of the damage: minimal. i play in a four piece (guitar bass vox) so i play alot of power chords, droning notes, and i go a little nuts, so i figure i impose as much damage as u could while still respecting and babying ur instrument and without pulling a kurt cobain. my fretboard shows very slight signs of wear (very slight) because i strum right at the 20th fret, and i think that's pretty much it. u won't hurt anything as long as u don't slam into the pickups. ur cool my man, go nuts. :bassist:

5. You won't hurt anything but the pick, and they can generally take a beating too. Unless you use a super thin one (ick). Don't worry about playing your bass too hard. It can take whatever you can dish out. While playing, anyway. Don't stand on it or something like that. You can break it, but not by playing too hard. Strings can snap, but that's not really breaking the bass. Just keep a spare set on hand. You may want to play through a limiter if you have a horn on your amp and you make lots of clicking noises. You could hurt that (and your ears).

I have to warn you guys that not capitalizing, spelling, or punctuating properly will absolutely kill your bass.
    And your amp.

And your house and your cat.

Please learn basic English. :crying:

6. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i'm an english major (read: unemployed) i don't need to use correct punctuation... for some reason that makes sense to me