pick/fingers allied help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jvasquez18, Apr 22, 2002.

1. jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    i like playing with a pick anf i like playing with fingers. but as we all know you get different characteristics when playing with a pick or fingers.
    i often play both fingers/pick using a thumb pick it's easy to move back and forth, but there's one small problem; my thumb's too big (some people compare it to a toe). i despise using a pick and then dropping it and looking for another one during a song. i love (can't live) without using a pick while rooting along to power chords.

my question is "what can i do:( ?
  2. One of Frank Zappa's bassists--I don't remember which one--would pluck with his index and middle and palm a pick with his ring and pinky, for easy switching. I'd do that, except that I use a three-finger style, and my pinky isn't strong enough to be able to hold a pick.

Holding a pick in your mouth might work, too.
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    or you can lick it and stick it to your forehead:D
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    if you have a mic stand you can buy a pick holder and stick a few pics on that. I dont normally use a pick, but theres a few times i do, and this is what i did to remedy the situation of having to look for a pic after id toss it somewhere.

another alternative is to buy dual sided tape and stick it somewhere on your bass and put a few picks on that.
  5. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I used to jam mine inbetween the bridge saddle screw and the D string on my Ibanez, but I changed the bridge on my bass, so thats out.

Now I sort of stick it in the gap between the lower edge of my bridge pickup and the edge of the body, actually in the pickup rout.

I'm sure some of you are like, "***?!" but it's never given me any problems, doesn't get in the way, and I can get to a pick pretty much instantaneously. Not that I use it much, but injuries sometimes occur. :D

I think I've an example, if I find the pic I'll post it up here.
  6. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001

Some company makes these spring loaded pick caddies that clip onto your strap... I've seen them in Musicians Friend catalogs and whatnot.
  7. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    :eek: GENIUS!!!!!! :D
  8. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    if you hate looking for another one during a song... just have another one ready.... by the methods mentioned.... I just have a few sitting on top of my cab. If you drop a pick it wouldn't be the end of the world to wait until a pause/song break/whole note and just play with your fingers for a bit.
  9. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    You can try holding the pick with your thumb and index finger, and plucking with your middle and ring fingers. Takes a while to get used to, but worth it if you really want both sound at once.

EDIT: As far as not dropping the pick, a guitarist friend told me about this stuff called "Gorilla Snot" (I think that's what it was called; hopefully it isn't the real deal! :p ) that helped keep the pick from slipping out of your fingers.