Pick guard...plastic...super glues and gels

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jar_fretless, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jar_fretless

jar_fretless

Oct 24, 2016
    My guitar’s pickboard is fairly messed up (cracked here an there and contains a spot or two where the plastic doesn’t meet), but provided I treat it gingerly will probably not crack any more. I don’t care, but like what’s still there. I would like to keep the fretboard from suffering more however.
    I’ve never had much success with glues that work well on plastic but I’ve been told that SuperGlue should cement the cracks and (using the thicker version) fill up small gaps and valleys.
    Q1) Is this true?

Q2) I gather Stewart MacDonald is the end-all when it comes to materials to use on guitars, but…is there a big difference between their super glues and the many other brands (e.g., Loctite super glues and gels)) available at Home Depot for a fraction of the price?

Q3) And what’s the difference between (a thicker?) SuperGlue and a SuperGlue Gel?

2. jar_fretless

jar_fretless

Oct 24, 2016
  3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

IMG_0558.JPG None of it will hold if jarred. Epoxy will do better because it flexes best.

Hot melt glue is the ticket on this if you just want to glue it.

I would get some adhesive copper foil shielding tape and put it on the back of the cracks to hold them in place. That's what I did on my 50+ year old jazz pickguard. The previous owner had used hot melt glue on it. It would work very well but he made a messy job of it so I just scraped it off.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  4. jar_fretless

jar_fretless

Oct 24, 2016
    Thanks, the copper foil is a great idea. And the epoxy is convenient because, if I work up the nerve, I'll be using it to straighten my newly-fretless fingerboard on the same instrument (see my post: Fretless Fretboard: removing toe-in on the Luthier forum.)

5. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Is the bass valuable with the original pickguard retained? I would consider replacing the pickguard over repairing it, personally.

6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    CA, AKA super glue is about the same from one brand to the next if you are using a know good brand. The real trick with it is freshness. Find a brick and mortar hobby shop and see what they have to offer. Ask them for BSI (Bob Smith Industries) glue and they should show you a rack full of all manner of types and sizes of bottles. Most walk up hobby shops carry BSI glues because they are good and BSI will also put the shop name on the label so it's free advertising. It's one of the most common glues sold in the hobby industry so their stock usually rotates pretty quick, they also have everything from water thin to extra thick and specialty stuff like rubber filled for gluing toy car tires to toy car wheels. For gap filling, I've always had the best luck using multiple applications of thin but it is also a good way to make a big mess if the gap is in an awkward place to reach or you can't get it to orient where the bottom of gap is on the low side so gravity will pull the glue down rather than off to the side.

Strictly a personal opinion, but the sticky foil trick sounds like a better way to go.

7. jar_fretless

jar_fretless

Oct 24, 2016
    The guitar is a My Teisco ET-200 (Tulip) Electric Guitar . I doubt it's very valuable (especially after I replace the bridge with another that allows me to adjust string-by-string intonation).

But replacing the pickguard would certainly be easier and more secure. I imagine I would have to get the exact pickguard. Where would I go to find/order another pickguard?

For that matter where would I go to find/order a new bridge for the guitar?

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021