1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pick Guards

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by HaMMerHeD, Oct 2, 2013.

1. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I hate them. But people want them, so I've grudgingly designed one.

Apos4_Basic_MM_PG_zpsc613c927.

I'm flying in the dark here, because I've always thought of them as a nuisance, and an extremely inelegant solution to the front routing process decision. I don't route the control cavities from the front, so they seem utterly pointless to me...but...people want them.

Opinions?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    Seems appropriate for the overall style of the bass.

3. suraj

suraj

Oct 1, 2008
    Mumbai, India
    The pickguard suits that body, its just that bottom left corner swoosh that I don't like. IMO, it could end like how the chrome plate on a jazz bass ends.

4. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    I think that design looks really nice.

The only thing that looks a bit off is the small tab that extend into the upper horn. IMO it should curve the same way as the horn.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I thought that was actually an interesting accent!! I like it like that. :) It mimics that upward "swoop" of the peg head.

6. Garyth

Garyth Now What ..?

Sep 9, 2013
    Punta Gorda Florida
    agreed, Maybe a slight curve the other way to balance with the curve of the body above the strap pin?

I like that is doesn't in this area. I'd like to see it curve back in on the neck to match the headstock a little closer. I suppose the extra would help if you are a wild strummer.

just my opinion, of course.

7. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I really like it as is, and I'm usually not a fan of pickguards either. It pulls together the body shape and the headstock shape/pointiness.

Functionwise (protection of the finish, that is), might it make sense to have the guard provide coverage around the bridge side/E string corner of the pickup?

8. HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Thanks. The curly point at the tail end is something I've gone back and forth with. The two unacceptable termination styles are A) blunt ugly curves like a P pickguard, and B) the nondescript, "by the way..." sort of end of the J. I'm still tweaking it, but it'll be something form fitting.

The visual conflict from juxtaposing of conflicting curves on the top at the upper horn is pretty much the point. I like it anyway, so it stays. Heh.

I have J+J, P, and P+J versions also, if you guys would like to see them. I'm also thinking about a small headstock applique.

9. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Isn't designing a thing you are opposed to such fun? :D Lots of folks dig pgs hammerhed, I think you gotta get over that one for the customer. Unless you're the customer of course. :)

I actually like it as you've drawn it, but I think the comments are also pretty good and might warrant trying out other shapes. Just a thought, but I think your shape with a pickguard would look sick if the bass was also beveled like an SG. A bevel right up to the pg on the bottom (treble side) and a slightly wider bevel on the bass side of the bass would be dope IMHO... :D

10. HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    It certainly makes me think more objectively and thoroughly about it. Before I started drawing my own, about the only thought I gave it was "that looks stupid". But I kinda like my pointy little curves.

And I did some more tinkering.

Apos4_Basic_PGs__J_MM_P_PJ_zpsd71512d7.

11. the baint

the baint

Jan 1, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Techtronic Industries, North America employee. Opinions are my own.
    HaMMerHeD, what program are you designing in?

12. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Looks really nice. I mean, except for the fact that I am philosophically and aesthetically staunchly opposed to the use of pickguards. But that shape is really nice. My favorite aspect is the "half-moon" facing the bridge.

Bonus points for orienting your P pickups the correct way round. :)

13. HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I use this for my designs:

http://www.emachineshop.com/machine-shop/Free-CAD-Design-Software/page100.html

It's not the best cad software out there, but it makes complex shapes a lot easier than others I've used.

I draw it with that software, and then print to PDF or EPS to send off to local machine shops to have templates made.

I heard you, boss.

And thanks.

14. suraj

suraj

Oct 1, 2008
    Mumbai, India
    The new pickguard design looks absolutely perfect to me..! good job on that..I also like how its dimensions work with all the standard pickup configurations. Well thought out !

15. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Where were you when I needed you in my recent thread ? :p

I wonder if a few of the less combative posts therein might inspire any ideas. I particularly like the idea of having the... ahem... "guard" installed witrhout drilling a load of holes.

16. Yeah that thread made me want to put pick guards on everything.
    That Marchlewski is total eye candy.drool

Like the OP's design too.