Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick HARDNESS

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Czugi, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Czugi

Czugi

Feb 2, 2002
    What is the hardness of the pickup u use? Yesterday i got myself a 1.20 pick that is supposably a bass pickup. Fells quite nice.

2. I think you mis-understood. This forum is for Pickups, the electronic portion of the bass. What you asking about are picks, or plectrums. Moved to Setup.

Rock on
    Eric

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I found for me that thin picks for better for bass, but I got my picking technique by copping Frank Gambale's technique - not exactly typical rock pick playing.

My theory is that a thinner pick balances against the thicker bass strings, that way it's as easy as on guitar, where you play a heavier pick for the thinner strings.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

5. Jerry, Jr.

Jerry, Jr.

Jun 7, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I use 1.14mm picks. My preference is for the Fender Delrins. But, I also use Dunlop Tortex picks. The Fenders seem to be much more durable.

6. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    When I used Jim Dunlop picks, it was the 88s. I'll still reach over and grab my guitarist's spare pick once in a while.

7. I use fairly thick picks. about 1.8 mm.

Hmmm i dont think this should be in setup. Move it to Misc maybe???

I'll leave it for Hambone. lol

:D:D

Merls

8. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I first started playing with a pick because I was so enamoured of Chris Squire's playing. Since I heard he used heavy picks, that's what I used and pretty much any heavy pick (including the rather unique Dunlop sharp). One day, I picked up a Dunlop medium gel pick mainly because I liked the see-thru purple color. I then found that I like playing with it more than with the heavy picks. Later on, when I couldn't find a pick one day, I used my guitarist's light guage and switched fairly permanently to Dunlop light tortex (orange).

What I've found is that the lighter pick is easier for me to use for really fast notes. I also believe the sound I get with it is more trebley --which I like. I still use medium guage picks occasionally but mainly when I am playing more toward the bridge end or when I want a slightly duller pick sound.

9. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Opps wrong thread. I saw Hardness in the title and ...well... you know... I had to......My Bad!:eek:

10. Try Off Topic. :p

:D:D

Merls