Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick help!!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by GreenMachine, Aug 25, 2005.

1. GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Apr 30, 2005
    Hey, is there any perticular way u MUST hold the pick? i hold it thumb on top 2 fingers at bottom which leads to skin being taken off mymiddle finger regularly.

iv been trying thumb and index finger in a handshake position which is aparently better but its hard to get use to. plus it gives a bit of a scraping noise.
    thanks

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i had the same problem. U need to adjust your strap height (up, that is) and make sure the pick is hitting perpendicular to the string to get rid of the scraping sound. Maybe use bigger picks to fix ur skin? or mediums rather than heavy.

3. When I use a pick I hold it a couple different ways.

1. Thumb & Index - Use this when I'm playing more softly and also more technical/faster sections.

2. Thumb, Index & Middle - When I play louder or heavier stuff, as well as palm-muting and chords.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Go to www.carolkaye.com and read up on her picking technique. She's got the best pick technique of anyone. I used to get pains in my hands when I played with a pick, and after I learned her picking technique, the pains went away and I sounded better.

I'll briefly tell you about it...use a heavy or ex-heavy pick, hold the pinky side of your wrist slightly away from the strings, pick about an inch away from the neck, never move your thumb...always move your whole hand, and use a side to side motion with the wrist.

5. GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Apr 30, 2005
    wow thanks guys for the help. i play mostly heavy stuff so i should get a new pick. its good to know theres no set way to pick. ill work on my technique tho. thanks for that strap thing too. ive been fiddling with it all afternoon :)

the other thing is sometimes my nails hit the strings. but thats probibly me just being clumsy ;)

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    While there is no set way to pick, I can tell you that Carol's method is by far the easiest on your hands and will prevent problems with pain in your RH.

7. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    You could always put a pick between your ring finger & middle finger to leave your thumb & index free for slap & pop.

Hard as hell, but very do-able.

Oh, moved to Technique.

8. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    The best way to hold a pick is to put it on that little pick holder that your guitar player put on his mic stand. ;)

9. :D

Follow these various technique suggestions, and once you're comfortable just practice. The same way you had to work at getting speed and being comfortable with fingerstyle, you'll have to work to be a god pick player. Eventually you'll be able to coax different sounds out very cleanly without much effort,.

10. GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Apr 30, 2005
    thanks guys. your all very encouraging. ive been playin for about a year but have tought myself so i dont know anything bout technique or anything.

To save another thread im also havin a bit of trouble with my timing. I keep going back to songs when i think im better but i still get lost in them. Its stuff like stairway to heaven and opeth songs i cant nail, just get all muddled up. Is there anyway thing that can help me. I have a metronome but it doesnt do much help since im to busy concentrating on the song lol.

11. Learn the song, learn the parts. Make sure everything is like second nature. If you're struggling to remember your parts or too busy concentrating on the song, you'll mess up. If you can't get it, practice until you can do it without much effort.