1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pick my next amp based on a kinda strategic plan.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jim C, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I've had many amps in my time and still have my top two favorites: SVT and SVP-CL Pre with a heavy iron amp.

Both are very clear, warm, and articulate, with a wide 3D soundstage. I like the sound of studio bass (through either a tube pre & op amp console (MCI), or an old transformer in console Neve).
    Cabinets are either a Berg HT322, Dr. Bass 2x12 neo, or TL606/3015. Am thinking that I'd like to try one of those front facing / side facing cabs in the future; xsonics, Lil G, etc.

But I want lighter. I've tried:
    Mark Bass LMII - Clear but flat and lifeless (for me)
    Walkabout - Awesome tone but not enough clean headroom
    TH500 - Super power and warmth, but just not clean enough although the wool was really cool for somethings.

Choices that I've thought of:
    * Crest Pro light power amp and the SVP - I could see this weighing in at 35-45lbs. and would be the size of a small rack.
    Amp and new plastic rack would be about $400
    * MB500 Fusion - GC near me does not ever have one so perhaps any of the MB series could work; the prices at RMC are sometimes cheaper than the classifieds so price is not going to be too bad. Maybe just the MB500 which is pretty inexpensive right now.
    *7 Pro - Well, I like the Ampeg sound but these things had more than their share of teething problems; don't think I'd chance a used one unless I could steal it. It is sometimes possible to get a new unit at around $650 on super sale (as reported in that thread) - it's doable at $750 but it would have to be a Rev D for that kind of coin.

So, based on personal experience and knowing the tonal goal is clear, warm, articulate, with a wide 3D soundstage, what would you recommend?

2. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Have you tried the Streamliner 900? It gets real close to an SVT. Like really close. I use Schroeder cabs; they LOVE the STL 900, not so much the TH500 i had. I got mine cheap off the classifieds. The STL 900 is only 7lbs too... If you check out the tube rolling thread some people have widened the freq response by using different tubes in the preamp section.

3. Is the Streamliner 900 ruled out?

Edit: gusto beat me to it.

4. Just got off the phone with zzounds and ordered a 7pro. Just returned a pf500 due to "cut out" issues but was in love with the ampeg tone. So I rolled the dice again on an amp with past issues but I really think the 7 pro is now a safe bet. Hoping for a rev d or e. Go with the tone u love.

5. Although change can be a good thing...lol I'm no help huh. Just saying cuz the mbfusion gets a lot of love and I would love to try one. Zzounds and AMS do nice payment plans but they do not carry GK. Hummed I know. Keep us in the loop

*bummed*

6. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    Another +1 for the Streamliner 900...

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    This weekend I got a chance to try a rack setup with a Glasstone Slap G cab (1-12+2-10). The amplification consisted of:
    - Crown XLS1000 power amp. Bridged 1100w @4ohms
    - Michael Pope Designs MPP1 preamp
    - Odyssey 3u rack bag (a 3 space wooden rack in a removable bag.

All together might've been around 15 lb. For a 1000w+ rack setup that's impressive IMO. Couple with the Slap G and the entire rig was probably under 60 lb. Even less with a Lil G.

Sounded pretty much perfect for what I wanted. Excellent headroom, volume to spare, very even and full range sound with the five and six string basses I used with it. The opposite of sterile... accurate but ballsy.

Earlier last week I tried a few other preamps with a Lil G; another Pope (Mitre Box), Yamaha PB-1, Peavey ProBass 1000 and Schroeder 4B-1. All discontinued :D

If you're looking for big clean physical sound any of these could work. The PB-1 is still one of my favorites and no longer a sleeper. The only real drawback is that alone it weighs as much as the Pope and Crown together. Very impressed with the Peavey and the Schroeder. I borrowed the Pope MPP-1 for last weekend, I'm going to be looking for one of my own.

I like feeling the thump on my basses, especially on the G and C strings. I also like hearing the texture of even my lower strings. Piece of cake with this setup.

I've been using micro heads for the last few years, this lightweight rack setup travels better and offers a lot more flexibility.

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Not sure if you would get as articulate as you might like, bu the SVP with a Crest ProLite 2.0 would sound great and be as loud as hell!

9. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Try a Thunderfunk.

10. paparoof

paparoof Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    Jim -

Streamliner 900. Yep. Makes you happy.

[​IMG]

11. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I own a couple of ampeg b15ns and have played svts before and I'd say my tonal taste is similar to yours. Give a vintage acoustic a try. Try an acoustic 370. To me those are the fattest sounding, rich feeling solid state bass amps of all time. Not as clear as an svt though.

12. Keep the SVT-P and replace your heavy power amp with a cheap high power class D. So long as you have enough watts up your sleeve it should sound exactly the same.

13. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I had a 370 for 20 years and also a 450 back in the day.
    They don't have enough clean headroom espiecially at 8 ohms for my needs. +1 about the tone.

14. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I did forget about this amp although the John K thread between the Streamliner and 7 Pro did sway me towards the Ampeg. OTOH, I don't think I've heard of any of them failing (as with most of the GB gear). I gather the EQ is a bit wacked and harder to get used to.

15. Pair that SVP up with a crest ProLite. Also take a good look at your cabs. Ultimately they are the last thing if your signal chain. If they are not capable of giving you what you want, you will never get it regardless of what comes before them in the chain.

16. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Not really that much. I bought the TH500 based on the reviews of KJung and the others. To me it was nice and "fat". When i tried the STL 900 i had a big realization - There is so much that the STL 900 can do the TH500 won't. Besides if you did like "wool" of the TH500 get the Tone Hammer preamp pedal and bypass the STL 900's (or any other amp's) pre section.

As far as the EQ being "wacked", there is a plethora (El Guapo do you know what a Plethora is?? :p) of EQ information in the STL 600/900 tone primer thread. The same way you found a good "starting point" with the TH500 is just as easy with the STL 900. Personally i can't see myself going back to the TH500. I'm also using cabinets that do not have a pronounced midrange scoop, so the 900 just oozes creamy, punchy fatness.

And, don't forget... Agedhorse is just a PM away with help if needed.

17. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Great point.
    My assumption is that these cabs will work well as they give me what I'm looking for with the SVT or SVP.

18. Wouldnt be hard to take your pre down and demo power amps and cabs.

19. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I had 5 Ampeg SVT-7 Pro's because they kept quitting. I currently have a GB Streamliner 900, GB Shuttle 9.2, and a GB Shutlemax 9.2 along with 2 Ampeg SVT-4 Pro's for players to use when they check out my Xsonics cabinets. The Shuttlemax 9.2 is the BEST of the bunch, hands down. The preamp has so many possible adjustments that almost any sound you want is in there. And it's a real back-breaker at 6 pounds. Amazing amps at GB.

Get a Genz Benz Shuttlemax and you'll never look back, IMO !!!!!

20. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    My Shuttle Max12.0 gets it done nicely with Xsonics 212cf and 215cf. More than enough power