Pick My Next Amp - Class D, <10 lbs, ≥ 1000 watts, <$1,100 & Rackmountable - GO!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Looking for amps that fit this formula:
    Class D, <10 lbs, ≥ 1000 watts, <$1,100 & Rackmountable

Context is....using the above in a band that plays multiple genres and we play a lot of large stages (national size), but some smaller ones too. I will only be using the head with one cab at any given time.

My cabs are:
    Epi 610UL (6x10) 5.3 ohm
    TecAmp 212S (2x12) 8 ohm
    LDS custom (2x10 vertical with 2x6.5 and horn at the top) 4 ohm

So fire away!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  2. K-2

K-2

Nov 30, 2016
    Vilnius, Lithuania

Peavey Minimega
    Class : D
    Power : 1000W 4Ohms
    Weight : 2.8 kg (I guess around 6lbs)
    Feature for your context: 4 band EQ with Sweepable Lo and Hi MIDs (as you mentioned playing multiple genres, this would come handy)
    Price : Cheap. Im not in USA so cant comment on exact, but they are cheap as far as I know.

I have seen negative comments about it loosing its power/switching off. As far as I know there was a first batch that had some issues, but those were corrected. I had mine for almost two years, never cranked it, but always run it at almost halfway volume during rehearsals, throught 8x10, never had issues with it powering off/heating.

About the sound - It has a lot of juice. I cut lows to 9 o'clock, i think it is 40hZ, at noon it shakes the walls and I get complaints from the neighbors. Overall tone I would describe as - transparent. It lets through your instruments "true" tone without coloring it. Though sweepable Lo/Hi mids can do ALOT to your tone.

It has some extra features - "crunch" (they say it reconfigures the preamp to sound more vintagy, tubey. I say I have sansamp and B7K and dont need that feature), compressor (works fine. Not using it as I have a pedal), some type of octaver (same as before, not using), mute button and ofcourse 10 or so different lighting options (always using different colors, because Im strange like that). All in all, I could say I dont need half of this amp as I run alot of pedals, but for such price why not, never know when I will be in a situation without my compressor and can just pop in the built in one.

Cheers

3. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I've been through quite a few but have kept the Fusion 800
    I have not tried the Quilter or Genzler

Quadzilla likes this.
  4. Quadzilla

Thanks for the info! Does it come with rack-mounting brackets (or are they available as an option)?

5. Quadzilla

I'll check it out!

6. Warwick lwa 1000 should be in the list

7. K-2

K-2

Nov 30, 2016
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Ou, wasn't aware rackmount is a must.
    Afraid not and no options to buy it separately. It does have those front "ears" like a rackmount unit, but the only instance I saw it rackmounted, was some guy had like a custom made rack (Peavey MiniMega 1000), doesn't seem so hard to make it though.

Though what concerns me is that air intake/venting is on top of the unit. If you take a look into pictures in that thread, that "custom" rack has some space left on top for that purpose. But this definitely should be taken into calculation before sticking this unit into a rack.

Cheers

8. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Quadzilla and HaphAsSard like this.
  9. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Peavey Headliner 1000
    118796_31183.jpg

with respect to the MiniMega, says the gentleman who designed them.

Peavey Headliner 1000 - 1000-Watt Lightweight Bass Head
    450 bucks. 12 pounds of net weight (as per page 7 of manual), so there's that though.

[EDITED - one Sweetwater link is enough, I've read good things about them but they don't pay me for this!]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Quadzilla and K-2 like this.