Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pick near neck

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by corinpills, Jul 17, 2003.

1. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    From my perspective, an awful lot of bass teachers use the Jaco method as a basis (well, if you're gonna base it on somebody, he's not a bad choice, I guess) for lessons and Jaco was very clear in his interviews and instructional video that he preferred to play close to the bridge where the string tension is very tight. That's a big part of his tone and you'll see a lot of cats who just immediately go leaping for the bridge with their right hand. However, before that, many bass players played closer to the neck for a deeper tone. Control is a little tougher because the string is floppier there, but a lot of old school bass players use very heavy strings anyway (which produce a great tone). Playing softly close to the neck produces a very full tone (the harder you pick a string, the more mid range you will accentuate). It's when you start wailing up by the neck with light strings that you get a bunch of garbage.

I don't like light strings anyway. I currently have a 1.15 low E string and things are suitably tense around the house.

2. dooberheim

dooberheim

May 17, 2002
    Missouri
    I saw a video of Steve Swallow with Carla Bley a while back, and he picked over the fingerboard. Got a nice mellow round jazzy tone, and he uses a pick.

DK