Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick on guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Aug 29, 2004.

1. All the time

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. Eh, occasionally.

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Not too often.

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Never.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    How many of you use a pick on a guitar? I tried it for a few weeks (I've only taken it guitar with a teacher since early July) but I just couldn't get the hang of it. Plus, I've really taken a shine to the sound of minor 7 chords without the fifth, and you can't really use a pick to hit them with a 1-7-10 voicing.

Sometimes if I'm going to strum something I'll grab a pick (Fender thin, preferably), but I usually just use my fingers and thumb.

Do you use a pick? If so, what kind?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dunlop Tortex 1.14 mm (the purple ones)

3. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Shucks. I was all ready to be mean to the guitar when I saw the thread's title, and now you go and let me down. :p

4. I use a Pickboy, not sure the width, but it's pretty hefty. I hate skinny picks.

5. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I voted 'Eh, Occasionaly', because I prefer to finger-pluck. But when I do pick it's a Dunlop Tortex .73mm. They're the yellow ones.

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Dunlop 1.14 mm

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

i use a pick for chords and my fingers for single notes, i find it easier to pluck since im used to it on bass.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I use a pick. But I also finger-pick. I learned Merle Travis style from an (averylongtimeago) girlfriend. Banjo lessons also gave me one or two other styles. I change them in rythym without even thinking about it.

None of it helped me on Bass. That was starting over.