1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pick on guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Aug 29, 2004.

1. All the time

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. Eh, occasionally.

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Not too often.

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Never.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    How many of you use a pick on a guitar? I tried it for a few weeks (I've only taken it guitar with a teacher since early July) but I just couldn't get the hang of it. Plus, I've really taken a shine to the sound of minor 7 chords without the fifth, and you can't really use a pick to hit them with a 1-7-10 voicing.

Sometimes if I'm going to strum something I'll grab a pick (Fender thin, preferably), but I usually just use my fingers and thumb.

Do you use a pick? If so, what kind?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dunlop Tortex 1.14 mm (the purple ones)

3. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Shucks. I was all ready to be mean to the guitar when I saw the thread's title, and now you go and let me down. :p

4. I use a Pickboy, not sure the width, but it's pretty hefty. I hate skinny picks.

5. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I voted 'Eh, Occasionaly', because I prefer to finger-pluck. But when I do pick it's a Dunlop Tortex .73mm. They're the yellow ones.

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Dunlop 1.14 mm

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

i use a pick for chords and my fingers for single notes, i find it easier to pluck since im used to it on bass.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I use a pick. But I also finger-pick. I learned Merle Travis style from an (averylongtimeago) girlfriend. Banjo lessons also gave me one or two other styles. I change them in rythym without even thinking about it.

None of it helped me on Bass. That was starting over.