pick one!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davidoc, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Musicman Stingray5

34 vote(s)
  2. Fender Jazz5 american deluxe

8 vote(s)
  3. Fender P5 american deluxe

11 vote(s)
  4. Your limiting your choices waaay too much, get something else

33 vote(s)
  5. Get a guitar!!!:D

9 vote(s)
  1. You play punk and are going to get a new bass (price is not an issue), but you're not gonna beable to get another bass in like forever. You have it narrowed down. What would you get?
  2. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
  3. rockjockjared

Oct 17, 2001
    Lubbock, TX
    Not really a lot of choices there...and since 2 of them are Fenders I was only left with one other choice.
  4. I like the Stingray 5 but all of my punk rock friends make fun of me for playing one. Punk rock rule for bass guitar #1- It has to be a 4 sting American P-bass with passive pick-ups. Rule #2- If you like something else, refer to rule #1.

Of course... I use what I like and F them!

Good luck choosing! :D
  5. rockjockjared

Oct 17, 2001
    Lubbock, TX
    Don't forget punkrock bass rule #3. If you can't buy it for less than a pack of Schlitz, it's not worth the money.
  6. yes you are limiting yourself...

get G&L L-2500, and you've got all 3 of those basses in one.

Those things last forever...

And don't limit your musical capabilities with punk.;) :D
  7. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    if you're playing punk why are you looking at 5 strings?
  8. ska bass man

ska bass man

Jan 11, 2001
    does it matter if you are using a stingray 5 for punk? no. are 5-stringers too good for us Punks? does it really matter how many strings your bass has? it's all about the music, and playing what feels right to you. I myself might buy a 5-stringer...of course, i can't afford the stingray, but i'm using the philosophy of one of my fellow punks, at least he has the attitude of a punk, if it costs more than a pack of schlitz, it ain't worth it.
  9. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    First off, yes it does. I never said 5 strings are too good, in actuality, a 4 string is actually better for playing punk.

Reasons -
    B string gets in the way
    You hardly ever use a B string if you're playing punk
    B string notes don't sound good in the usual punk scales
    Ever see a punk bassist use a 5 string? Maybe there's a reason for that
  10. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Any of these basses, preferably beat to hell with lotsa stickers:

1) Fender P-bass
    2) Gibson Ripper
    3) Gibson Thunderbird
    4) Gibson EB-0
    5) No-name p-bass

Forget active, you don't want to sound like Nathan East do you?

Forget 5 strings, it will just confuse the guitar player. (5 string players, you know what I mean.)
  11. rockjockjared

Oct 17, 2001
    Lubbock, TX
    Play what you want to play. No one can tell you what you like and don't like. I myself hate Fenders...just a personal preferance :) but I get a lot flaming for it. I have 2 Dean basses...both 4 string. I used to have a cheap little Cort bass that was 6 string...and yes...I was playing punk with it. But I had to get rid of it, the neck was like playing a runway and I have short fat fingers as it is...so it just didn't work out. My best advice to you is to play all the Basses that you're considering buying (which you probably have already!) Make your decision from there. I bought my first Dean after playing it for only about 5 minutes. I fell instantly in love...that's why I bought another! And as I would like a Stingray...I'm still not getting rid of my deans for a very, VERY long time :)

12. Hmm. Confused the guitar player we have....for about 1 practice. No more confusing than following him when he's in dropped-D.

But I can see where punk guitar players might get confused :D (Meant as total joke. Joke. Joke.)
  13. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    :D :D
  14. Thanks for your opinions... did I mention I also play Jazz in school :) The punk's more of a comitment though. I think I know what I'm going to get:)

15. rockjockjared

Oct 17, 2001
    Lubbock, TX
    If you find it in your heart you can go ahead and send me one too :D :D
  16. Doesn't theAlien Ant Farm guy use one? Or do you not count them as punk cos they are in the charts?
  17. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

The Sex Pistols is (was) a punk band. Alien Ant Farm is not a punk band.

I am assuming that by punk, you mean real punk. In other words 2 or 3 chords and a fast 2-feel. (I will through hardcore in this too. Remember Black Flagg?) If you mean RHCP or Korn type-stuff, that is heavy rap-metal. if you mean Nirvana, that is grunge.

As for the MusicMan: this is a great bass. This is not a great punk bass, nor is it a great jazz bass. Get a good Jazz bass for jazz and a good punk bass for punk. Don't make the mistake of buying a bass that you think can do everything pretty well. Invariably it does everything only ok, but not great. Spend $200.00 on a good P-like bass and spend the other $1000.00 on a good jazz bass. Believe me the punkers won't know the difference, nor will the audience. The jazzers will.
  18. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    musicman is good for everythign so i vote for that