1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pick or Fingers?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by duo8675309, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duo8675309


    Jun 5, 2005
    Just wanted to get a few opinions. This is my first post here, so sorry if this has been posted before... In my defense I used search.

    Well, anyway I use fingers, but i'm practicing using a pick to get that punk sound I've been wanting. But I prefer fingers.
  2. oldtao


    Jun 5, 2005
    i like use my finger
  3. I use a pick 100%. Never learned to play with my fingers. Knowing how to do both is probably best but I do fine with a pick.
  4. oldtao


    Jun 5, 2005
    if you learn paly with finger at the first time and you will do better then pick
  5. Spector_Ray


    Aug 8, 2004
    It depends on what kind of attack I want on the string and what kind of sound I'm looking for. I can play with either.
  6. +1

    Ive been playing more with a pick ( just recently ish started playing using one ), and prefer the greater attack :)
  7. Fingers, I like the sound much better. I feel like a pick has too much attack, although I do like the sound of a pick every once and awhile
  8. PhilMan99


    Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    Both. Sometimes I switch mid-song.

    I'm better with a pick, but the attack is too harsh for many songs.
  9. Tash


    Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I prefer the tone of a pick, but I am more comfortable using my fingers, I just feel more connected that way.

    Use whatever you like best.
  10. I am also more comfortable using my fingers
  11. duo8675309


    Jun 5, 2005
    do they make pick-like things to go on the tips of your fingers? that would bring the best of both worlds together! :hyper:
  12. Well Tony Levin has funk fingers...they go on the end of your fingers :D I know its not really a pick, but its cool nonetheless.
  13. i prefer the finger tone, but i use a pick because i think it sounds better when i use distortion.
  14. There are lots of different pick options. I use plastic finger picks and thumbpick on dobro and steel guitar. I use metal finger picks and a plastic thumbpick on acoustic guitar when I am fingerpicking (about 75% of the time) in public and a 1 mm thick flatpick the other 25% of the time in public. In private sometimes I use a jazz felt flatpick to improve the cleanliness of my picking. I use my bare fingers on electric guitar (about 75% of the time) because I don't need the amplification and a 1 mm or thicker flatpick about 25% of the time.

    So you could use plastic or metal fingerpicks or thumbpicks or a plastic or felt flatpick. You could also try fingernails like classical guitarists, or glue on fingernails or "Alaska Piks" which are plastic and fit over the top of the fingernail. They are typically used by banjo players.

    I never use a pick on the bass. My bass feels so smooth and sensuous that I don't want anything to come between me and the experience.
  15. Funky Tune

    Funky Tune

    Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i use my fingers,the sound is more strong.
  16. i personally hate picks on bass sorry thats just my 2 c's i think all bass players should play with there fingers :D
  17. Hounddog


    Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist

    Thank You.

  18. tplyons


    Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Learn everything, but use what the song requires.
  19. Spector_Ray


    Aug 8, 2004
    This is a very subjective topic, but limiting one's playing to just fingers is just as narrow as limiting the type of music one listens to. In fact, it would be like saying, "if you're playing bass, there shouldn't be any mids or highs in your sound. After all, it is a bass."
    When I heard a guitar player tell me that, I almost hit the floor!
  20. Mike Money

    Mike Money In Memoriam

    Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I use and love both...

    With a pick, you lost a lot of depth... but you gain a lot of crunch, grind, and growl...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.