Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pick or fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by morty25, Jul 7, 2002.

1. which do you use a pick or your fingers?
    explain why

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wrong Forum.

Moved.

3. Fingers = more control + better sound (IMO, and more speed in my case because I am really slowww with a pick)

Guess what I use

4. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Neither.

I hit notes with a rainbow trout.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Do. A. Search. It's. Easy.

7. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    <----------------

8. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Search, there is heaps of stuff.

It depends on what music im playing.

9. Well I use picks. It is better for the kind of music I play (metal) I think. It is much easier to go fast with pick (for me). Ex: to "roll" (don´t know if thats the english word for it) like in Cradle of Filth´s "heaven torn asunder". But for ballads I mainly use my fingers because it gives the tone a more "deep" sound.

10. I used a finger, then fingers. Are we talking about noses or basses? I suppose if someone had told me I had to play bass with my toes, I would still be a stinkin' bass player?!

Try it all and settle for what works for you. The more versatile you can be, the better player you might be. I think that works for others, not me though. I'd be the same no matter what I used. See previous "toe jam" remark.:D

11. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    ......Both........of course.....;)

12. Pick or finger makes a different sound, so the first concern is what sound you want to have. But sometimes a song asks for picks when a bright attack is in place. I prefer fingers because I have more contact with the instrument and can put more feeling in the play. Speed is of no concern here, fingers and picking can both be as fast as you like.

Jos

13. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Both!
    Whatever the song calls for. Why be pigeonhole into one technique when ther are so many.
    I play a little slap, I also play with my thumb for the dub tone. A little of everything goes a long way.

14. I've been trying to play with a pick, but it just doesn't seem to be my thing, it feels unnatural to me ...
    I play a lot faster, more precise, with better timing and with much more feeling when using my fingers.
    The problem is that I prefer the sound when playing with a pick ...

15. about choosing between a pick or fingers (i use both), do some of you guys change in the middle of a song from pick to fingers? it's something i've been wondering. and how do you change from fingers to pick quickly?

16. SKB

SKB Guest

pick, fingers, and thumb. i use what feels good at the time.

17. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I hold the pick with my teeth when I'm not using it.

18. bluesrocker1

bluesrocker1

Jul 31, 2002
    America
    I play with a pick most of the time but I also can play just as well with my fingers. I think it maybe because I started with guitar first. Anyway i dont think it matters as long as it sounds good to you.