pick or no pick?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by RazorSpeakers, May 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RazorSpeakers

May 28, 2004
    i was just wondering if using a pick made any real difference to your technique or if it is just easier on the fingers.
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I'm sure there are a million opinions on this in Technique. Do a search in there.
  3. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Pick! Gives you more precision and faster playability with a sharper and brighter sound.
  4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    No pick. It's a bass, not a guitar.
  5. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    ditto :)
  6. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

Picks are for noses not for basses.
  7. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    Me and my bass guitar!
  8. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Use both techniques. For loud rock music, a pick is almost essential if you want to be heard. But for other styles, a pick just doesn't work. I jam w/ 2 guitarists w/ fullstacks now and find myself using a pick w/ my stingray.
  9. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    A mandolin isn't a guitar either, but you can also play it with a pick. Think outside the box, folks. Just because the bass was made with fingers in mind, doesn't mean you can't use other techniques to play.
  10. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    yep :bassist:
  11. Both techniques, and more... geez, talk about laughably close minded people...I use funk fingers too, you all gonna call me a drummer now? ;)

BTW, it's not called a bass or a guitar. It's called a BASS GUITAR. Even Fatbassjazzer admitted it.

So friggin there! :bassist:
  12. Sporadic

May 27, 2004
    I prefer using my fingers, but I use picks on occasion.

I think that one of the main reasons people buy basses are because they're different from normal electric guitar and they have a variety of playing styles, like fingering, slapping, ect. I mean, if you're looking for an instrument for a variety of picking styles, wouldn't you just get a guitar?

Of course it's your preferance. Maybe you just like the sound the bass makes with the pick. Or maybe you like it with the fingers. It really is up to you...
  13. Learn both. Learn as many styles as you can and use what sounds best for the song. I use a pick, my fingers, and just learned to use my thumb as a pick. Make yourself a versatile bassist.
  14. Absolutely perfect. To not invite variety is to cut your own lifeline.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Steve Swallow uses a pick. Dannnn Glennnn has never been worthy to carry his gig bag. ;)

Use whatever you want. Learning to use both is an excellent idea.
  16. If you ask me: fingers, all the way. although I sometime practice with a pick, but my fingerstyle is much better.
    People saying that a pick is faster than fingers, well, I seriously doubt that. Ever played fingerstyle with 3 fingers??? (I'm practicing on it, but it isn't simple)
  17. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Fingers + 1!
    Hey, it's like makin' love with the one you love ... you have to TOUCH ;) !
  18. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I practiced last night with a pick for a solid half-hour, just cuz I felt like doing things a little differently than usual. Came up with stuff I never had with my fingers, plus got some new tones. I always like to have one around even though I primarily play with fingers. So, as most will tell you, just another technique to have in the toolbox.
  19. fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Pick is for girls.
  20. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I see usage for both styles, i use primarly finger style, w/ some slap. Steve Howe used a pick, so that should be good enough proof for anyone in here, that using a pick is NOT unheard of...

However, lets get back to the original question... does using a pick make a difference in style? Of course it does, the mere fact of using one make a HUGE difference in style. Can you imagine anyone playing slap,, w/ a pick?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.