Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick Players Which Pick do you prefer Scientific Pick ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by twilightcall, Nov 14, 2005.

1. twilightcall

twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    I mostly play with a pick and I was wondering what picks you guys use. I know many will say the one that is in my pocket or any pick but I would like some answers from people who have experimented with many picks. I have been playing with picks for many years and I have experimented with many different picks. I can hear the difference between most of the pics I use. I have always been slightly unhappy about hearing a clicking sound when playing due to using a pick. Sometimes too much clicking. I was wondering if there maybe a better choice in a pick to reduce this sound and bring out a smoother tone. Any info would be appreciated.

2. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    hard rubber picks

somewhat warm tone like fingers, but still a pick for fast playing

3. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
    I personally like the Jim Dunlop Gator Grip. when they come fresh out of the pacage they have this wierd powder on them, but it stays in place so easly. oh , and 1.5 MM picks, the 2.0 MM are a bit to thick.

4. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I like the Dunlop Tortex 1.00mm. They have a fairly clear, even attack. The notes are well defined with this pick.

5. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Yeah, I've been using a rubber Wedgie pick lately. Both the 3.1mm Hard and 5.0mm Hard picks. No clicking with those. ;)

6. twilightcall

twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    Thanks guys. Does anyone have a pic of a rubber pic. I have never seen one. I looked on Ebay and didn't find one. Where do you get them? Thanks.

7. I use Fender Heavy tortoise shell (celluloid), in the big triangle shape. Gives me plenty to grab onto.

If I don't want the click sound, I use my fingers. That's the only way I know to avoid it.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I found that a thinner pick with a narrow tip gives you a cleaner sound and more speed. I use the red Sharkfins.

9. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    [​IMG]

I get them through MusiciansFriend.com or Music123.com online. ;)

Have Fun! :bassist:

10. Not much of a pick fan myself (Then again I hardly ever used a pick, strangely one of my favorite genres is metal..), does it really increase your speed significantly more then with your fingers and (Besides tapping) would it really hinder your technique much?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Man, I hope you don't develop wrist pains eventually. A lot of people get wrist pains after using thin and medium picks for years. I'm one of them. Go to www.carolkaye.com and read what she has to say on pick technique. Doing her technique completely cured me of my wrist pains.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No and no. Some people can play faster with a pick but not all. And a pick doesn't hinder your technique. You can always toss it on the ground and use your fingers.

13. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    I think my pick used to be a fanciful necklace of some kind. I dunno, my guitarist gave it to me one day with the promise that it'd make me awesome. It sort of looks like a large plastic crystal or something, and it's the most comfortable thing ever. Produces the same sound you'd get out of a heavy gauge plectrum, but grittier.

14. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Since my sound is "old school" I stay with Herco mediums.

15. Skit1

Skit1 Guest

Jul 2, 2004
    England
    I personally use the Dunlop nylons.
    They sound and feel great :hyper: