1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pick question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mariuste, Aug 18, 2012.

1. mariuste

mariuste

Feb 3, 2012
    Hello

I am trying to develop a fast playing pattern with a pick. The problem is I want to play fast staccato notes leaving almost space between the notes. I have somewhat problem doing that. I can play fast but I am not able to kill the sustain between the notes when I play fast It somewhat gets sustained and muddy particular on the E string, if you know what I mean? I find it easier to control the sustain when I play with my fingers. This is so frustrating:meh:
    I realise this has to do with bad skills and my technique. I have just resently start to learn to play with a pick. Will it gets easier or do I have to correct something?
    How will you go about doing it?

I would appreciate some advise on this:)

2. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Are you using only "down-strokes"?
    If so try:

As for technique: remember to practice your upstrokes and downstrokes, as both sound different, and if you use them both, you can be faster when needed.

Also do mind on how you strike the string. The edge of the pick has to strike it flat. No angles, preferrably. And practice the strength of each stroke, because too weak makes the sound scratchy, but too strong may mute the notes.

And also try to pick so that each stroke goes beyond the string and onto the next one. Meaning, don't do superficial strokes. And use your wrist.

3. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I don’t always play with a pic but when I do it’s a Clayton 1.00 mm big enough for bass. IMO guitar pics are for guitar. The bigger Clayton also more importantly gives me enough surface area to hold it different ways for different techniques. I can hold it loose to minimize the clank you get from a pick grinding into a string or for fast runs I’ll choke up on it slightly so it’s stiffer. Then this is what I do when playing fast and I want almost a staccato type sound without too much over movement form strings. I do a ripped off guitar technique by resting the edge of my palm slightly of the strings behind where I’m picking. You can do that near the bridge or all the way up near the neck. You don’t have to press it down and totally mute everything out just slightly. I play guitar too so I’ll borrow techniques from both instruments I just can’t help it.

Not sure if that's the answer your looking for

4. Batz

Batz

Aug 22, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    I'm not sure if I can explain it properly, but I use my right hand and just raise my finger off the fret a bit to cut the note short. As far as eliminating the sustain on open string, haven't mastered that one yet myself.

5. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Fast stacatto notes with a pick=palm muting.

6. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    +1

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Try switching to using either of the wider more rounded ends of pick rather then the single more pointy one. To me its easier using pick this way rather then the more traditional single pointy end way.

I use heavy gauage pick btw.

8. +1 to palm muting.

Good technique is a must of course, but finding the right pick for you might also help. I'm primarily a finger player, so I decided to do a pick exploration to see what I could add to my sonic toolbox. If I can find time/motivation, I really do need to post the whole shootout. Still have a couple more to review and then need to make some clips........... :meh:

I've tried picks in all sorts of sizes, designs and weights... everything from generic plastic picks to coconut, wood, horn, rubber, felt, bone, brass. I've even tried some "boutique" picks, a couple different V-picks and a $25 Red Bear Trading pick. There's a lot of different styles out there, a small difference in design can be a big deal to the end user.

In the end, my favorites are the Dunlop Big Stubby 1.0mm picks because of feel and size, but also because the tapered edges make it feel a little faster than standard picks. Just the right amount of flex for me, too. Thicker picks were too heavy for me, no flex and I felt like I was fighting them. Thinner picks didn't have enough "chunk" and attack (if that makes sense). Price also weighs in: think about losing a $25 pick. Ouch.

Food for thought. :)

5sg.