1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PICK=ROUNDWOUND=FRETKILLER!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by shadyru, Apr 15, 2010.

1. shadyru

shadyru

Mar 18, 2008
    I was speaking with a major producer and told him that I play bass with a pick (and what strings I should get for recording flatwounds or roundwounds) but I cant decypher this response lol.

Playing pick does he mean that roundwound is the way to go? :meh:

2. Rounds are tough on regular nickel silver frets. Maybe that's what he was getting at.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    If you dont fret hard and grind the strings into frets as your fretting. The wear with qaulity frets is very little and takes years of lotsa playing to become noticeable. Heavy handed fretting with rougher roundrounds like rotosounds on a fretless rosewood fretboard can cause fretboard wear over time. If your getting noticeable fretwear with roundwounds I'd blaim the frets for being substandard qaulity myself. Of course nimble light fretwork with even rougher strings like rotosounds should take several years before its noticeably doing anything to the frets. Some prefer stainless steel frets due to them being harder. But they are also harder to install properly and to shape to fretboard radius then regular qaulity nickel silver frets. Only people I can really see benefiting from stainless steel frets would be those who are very heavy handed with their fretting and who are also useing courser then average roundwounds.