Pick Slippage Cured For All Of Eternity

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by bobomatic, Aug 29, 2019.

1. bobomatic

bobomatic

Jan 15, 2018
    Love using picks, but the things move all over the place? We’ve all been there. Give an idiot quiet time on a cigarette break, and said idiot (me) has solved the problem. Soldering irons aren’t just for wires, folks!

ADF24B94-AE00-4438-9A6E-8F481CA82A7B.jpeg

JRA, petch, G-Z and 4 others like this.
  2. fretlessman71

fretlessman71 Still beats havin' a job Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    DUDE! I have MS, which for me means a weak picking hand, among other things. Those are JD PrimeTones, aren't they? I've been using bits of coarse-grade friction tape, which kinda works but kinda doesn't... and I don't trust myself with a soldering iron.... if I sent you a dozen picks, could you do this for me? I could send you a Starbucks card for the trouble and a SASE to send the picks back in...

petch and bobomatic like this.
  3. bobomatic

bobomatic

Jan 15, 2018
    Yeah I could do it for you, those took me 5 minutes to do and being a first try, they will probably turn out better next time around. Yep, Primetone 1.5’s. I will say this... they don’t move. At all. You can just gently caress them between your fingers and they stay there... no death grip required. I love these picks but even the texture they have in the first place didn’t keep them in place... granted I’m playing strings without a ton of give, but even with a light touch they shifted. Not a problem anymore!

PM me for my info. I’ll hook it up for you.

Oddly likes this.
  4. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
  5. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Dunlop Max-Grip works for me. Dimebag used to use a razor blade to score some similar slashes on his picks.

6. bobomatic

bobomatic

Jan 15, 2018
    I got the idea from one of Scott Ian’s picks that somehow my son ended up with after doing a week workshop with him. Definitely razor cuts in that one and it felt great... pretty easy to get nice uniform scoring with a blazing hot iron though. Would not recommend for thin picks...

I’m digging these Primetones these days though, and there isn’t a single textured pick that stays put in my hand. Must be my smooth, silky skin? Nah, I needed something gnarly, and this method worked out awesome.

7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Or just buy one of the many picks already available with grip already cast in, like Herco. I used to scratch in a grid with a razor blade, but now it doesnt seem to matter, i use a standard Fender medium or heavy tort, and they dont twist in my fingers.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I used to poke mine with a hot needle to do a similar thing, but that got old quick. Now I just buy the Max Grips.

9. fretlessman71

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    The issue here is that PrimeTone picks impart a certain sound on a bass string. I could get a pick with a lot of grip and not like the sound, or I could use a PrimeTone and keep dropping it. Instead of being forced to choose one or the other, I endeavored to find the best of both worlds. I've been cutting out triangles of the coarsest grade friction tape I could find and adhering it to my picks (it actually sands my fingerprints off!), but this might be a better choice for me and my barely functioning right hand. The friction tape triangles add a thickness to the pick that makes it harder to wield, and I imagine the MaxGrips would be the same. Over $1,000 spent in picks, and I'm still on the hunt for perfection..... sigh....

bobomatic likes this.
  10. bobomatic

bobomatic

Jan 15, 2018
    I don’t see myself having to do this that often... have you ever tried to kill a Primetone?

JimmyM likes this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    The only Primetones I have are the big fat Gypsy Jazz Django picks that are 5 mm thick, and nothing short of nuclear war will kill them :D

gebass6 likes this.
  12. bobomatic

bobomatic

Jan 15, 2018
    I feel the same way about the 1.5’s!

JimmyM likes this.
  13. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Cool. Did that to a few geetars with Gibson Speed knobs. Not a pleasant smell.

My phone has 80 and 40 grit 6" adhesive backed orbital sanding discs cut down to strips on the back & sides.

14. fretlessman71

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    I just got a PopSocket. Much nicer to the skin.

15. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    probably on normal hands. Due to both my hobbies and line of work, no amount of lotion will trick anyone who shakes my hand into thinking that I might be an office worker.

fretlessman71 likes this.
  16. Bassngtr

Bassngtr

Jul 21, 2007
    Methuen, MA
    I've used my bench vise (one face is knurled) applying a little pressure to 1 pick at a time worked wonders for grippier picks. Guitar picks of course...real bass players never use picks. :)

17. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Problem solved.

[​IMG]

18. bobomatic

bobomatic

Jan 15, 2018
    You’re kidding me right....:

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021