Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick the best 5 string on my poll and explain why you would pick it.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by King David, Jan 13, 2003.

1. G&L 2500

17 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. Fender Rosco Beck V

14 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. Lakland 55-02

33 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Musicman Stingray 5

35 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I am looking at these five stringers. I am looking for a wide variety of tones and a tight B. Please rate the B on a scale of 1-10 10 being very tight. Please tell me why you like the 5 you chose.

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Fender RB5 - Excellent tone, great playability and I just like Fenders. :) Most of the ones on your list would make a good choice. If I were to get a 5 it would have to be the RB5. B string is about an 8.

Have you played them all yet? Which one did you like?

Dan

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

I would say any of them are good choices. There are pluses and minuses to all of them, so I guess I would say try as many as you can and go by how they feel in your hands.

I believe the B on all of these would sound and feel very similiar. I guess I would go with the RB5, just because you dont see these a lot. But if you cant live with the color options they give you, then I would go with the G&L because of all the tone possibilities and all the options you can order(neck size, wood, color etc).

4. I echo Odie's comments, and it looks like you have narrowed down to some similar instruments tonally and functionally. I voted Lakland as what I prefer from the potential options available for woods, finish, etc, but I'd be happy with any one of them.

5. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I have played the RB5 and the SR5. I haveplayed a G&L before, but I can't remember the model. I would love to try a Lakland, but I do not believe there are any dealers in the area.

I like the MM sound, but I also like the Jazz sound too. These seemed like very versatal basses with the pickup configuration. Three out of the 4 have a narrower string spacing at the nut than is typical on a 5. I like the thinner neck for my fretting hand. It seems like it would be an easier transition from a 4 to a 5. The RB5 has the 1.875" nut width. The others are smaller. I believe the SR5 and the 2500 are 1.75" and the Lakland is 1.8".

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i would rock the g&l, but that's cos it has the tone closest to what i like. growly and bright, and much more versatile than any of the other basses.

7. Hey, you can't go wrong with any of those basses. You could play all of them in any setting and they'd sound good, feel good, and look good!

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I´d go with the SR5.

Really killer look and tone, the B string is punchier es hell!!!!!!! That´s why I want one of those puppies!!!!!

I would give it like 8,5 over 10

9. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    The G&L. Probably the most versatile of the bunch. The B's on the 5's I've tried ranged from 7-8 generally.

Music Man's usually have really good B's but I feel there's a bit of a sacrifice in tonal capabilities (in case you need them) and looks with the SR5 compared to the G&L. Of course, I'm a bit biased on the looks part since I'm not a fan of pick guards.

10. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Haven't played the Lakland, but I have tried the other three and my personal fave was the G&L. Good B, most versatility and solid as hell build quality. I don't think any of these is clearly better than the others though. It just comes down to how it feels and sounds in your hands.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i picked the g&l 2500 - i like their tone and playability. that's what i'd play if i couldn't have a custom bass.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Why?
    Why not?

13. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    They are all solid basses, can't really go wrong with any of them.

My preference would be alphabetical, just as they are listed in the poll. I like what the G&L offers the most. Very nice super-Fender setup.

14. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    When I was looking for a 5 string those were 3 of the for choices I had(Skyline was not yet) I picked the SR5 it had the best sound and I find that with the 3 Band EQ and the 3 setting on the pickups i can get the sound's I need . But they are all excellent choices and you would be happy with any of them.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    if that's directed at me, i love the tone and the diversity of tones that are possible. i liked the neck dimensions and feel as well. really, my favorite mass produced instrument.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Variety of tones, excellent playability. I agree that the B string is an 8, but it's an alder-bodied passive Fender so that's about the best possible grade for such an axe (the active, 35", composite-necked Modulus Quantum gets a very rare 10 in my book).

[​IMG]

17. bassdude63

bassdude63 Member

Jan 5, 2003
    I own a Stingray-5, but I'd love to have a USA made Lakland 5. The 35" scale neck makes the B-string's lowest notes sound so good. It's more tonally versatile than my MusicMan. I know they're a bit expensive, but I think Lakland is making some of the finest bolt-on neck basses available. I'm also very fond of the MTD USA basses. I'm considering selling my 2 MusicMan Sterlings and my Stingray-5 to help finance one.

18. But the Skyline series, (55-01,55-02, etc) are about half the price of the US made ones, and to me feel and sound almost the same, with some small finish detail differences. I think they are a steal.:)

19. odie

odie Supporting Member

Bruce -the model # he has listed is a Skyline. Check their site.

20. RB5....B string gets a 9.

The SR5 a close second.

But, to this day, I haven't played or heard a cooler sounding bass than the RB5. I like the colors (I had a sunburst, and want a Teal), and while the neck's a bit big, it just sounds phenomenal, and is actually inspirational to play.