Pick thickness?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by scoobs, Jun 21, 2004.

1. For those of you that use picks what thickness do you prefer? I have been testing a few out recently and found I prefer thicker picks, like over 1.0 as opposed to .6 and .45.
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Dunlop 1 mm black nylon picks here. The only other ones I ever use are the blue Sharkfins (the real ones, made in Sweden).
  3. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    I used Gibson 1 mms back when I played guitar.Find it gives a fuller sound.
  4. Dunlop 1.14mm “shark-tooth” picks for me. I find that the thin pointy end gives great attack, then if needed I can switch to the more typical edge for a more finger like sound; until i become more proficient with just my fingers that is.
  5. Im using a fender "extra heavy" right now, its 1.14mm. I find it gives me the most finger type sound which is what I want. Forgive me for my ignorance but is there any difference between brands? I have only been using fender picks.
  6. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    When I play with a pick I use a Dunlop Tortex .73mm (the triangle ones) I used to use standard Tortex .88's. :)

Graeme :bassist:
  7. I prefer the nylon picks, they feel better and seem to wear better (last longer). I used to use the dark grey Jim Dunlop .88mm for years and years, then I switched to the black 1mm nylons. Now I've been using the Herco Flex .75mm. Even though it's .75 it feels in between the Dunlop .88 and 1mm. The other thing about them is that the raised writing makes them "grippier" than most any other pick.
  8. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    .80 Clayton Acetals are my favorite.
  9. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Dava Control: (i think they only come in one thinckness) If you hold them before the transparent line they are mediumish, if you hold them on the trasparent line they are heavy. Hold them above the line, Amazing bass picks!
  10. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Fender Heavy and dunlop 1.14 mm. I use to use Gibsons but they broke on me all the time. I think Dava Controls are cool, but every now and then I get the ridge caught on a string at the wrong time and the pick goes flying.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Fender thin, but that was 25 years ago. I put down about 10 years ago.
  12. Dunlop or Tortex (can't remember), purple (glossy) triangles - 2.0mm

Used Stubby picks for a while 3.0mm.

Trying to use my fingers more and more now though......
  13. bassx

Apr 10, 2002
    N FW, TX
    I use the ever popular Dunlop .88mm (the green ones)

keep looking for the larger tortex triangle picks Dunlop makes to give them a try, but none of the stores around me seem to carry them! Damn you GC!!!
  14. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Go to Carol Kaye's website, she sells a teardrop shaped hard pick that is a beautiful thing, and they are fairly cheap.She is probably the Queen of all pick players of all time.