Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick Travesty

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Howard K, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I saw the "UK's top led zeppelin tribute" band last night, "whole lotta led"... or "whole lotta tin" as I've now dubbed them.

The drummer was excellent - he played moby dick, very, very well I might add, which was the best thing in the set. Now that says something, a drum solo being the best part of the set! :D

Singer was good too, really sounded like Plant - a bit more nasal i.e. forcing Plant's style a bit, but real close all the same, he had the moves and looked like him too. A quality tribute frontman.

The guitarist was good, not brilliant mind, but he was a TOTAL poser - he was shooting the audience from the crotch with his axe, and striking chords then pointing at the audience with a huge cheesey grin on his face (bear in mind he's about 50 and has a mullet like Pat Sharp!)... funny cause I dont remember seeing Page do that on the new live DVD? :meh:

But the worst trevesty of all, the aspect that ruined the entire gig for me.. the thing that made me want my money back... you best sit down, it's a shocker!!!

THE BASSIST USED A PICK!!!!

...and on top of that he was sh~te!

JPJ oozed groove from every pore in his body, the man was a brilliant, brilliant bass player.

This guy had a dreadful pick sound (the attack, arrrghh! can you not hear how wrong it is!!!), the worst technique I've seen since God knows when (real 3 twisted fingers, thumb over neck grip!) and he poor time, sh~te rhythm and he to top it all he kept tripping over his fingers! He actually made the excellent drummer sound bad!

The only thing he had in common with JPJ was his jazz bass!

I found myself thinking, how come he's got the gig? I actually couldnt bare to watch him after the 1st set, I had to force myself to watch the other band members instead, it did my head in so much!
    It was a 700 capacity venue, packed full at £12.50 per ticket, that's nearly £9k! I was seriously tempted to wait round after and tell them what an abysmal player he was and offer my services!

It's just not bl~~dy on! A Led Zep tribuite band with a cr~p bassist using A PICK!!!

ARRRRGGHhhh!!!

rant over ;)

H

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I must say I've never been to see a tribute band - and having seen the real Led Zep at Wembley in 1974 - this is the last thing I would consider going to - wouldn't want to taint the memory!! ;)

I can remember when I was at college, a local band played at the student bar and they did Police songs - but with no reggae feel or ryhthmic displacement - every song was just a straight rock beat - it was awful- I walked out - even though it was free!!

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Uh, JPJ used to use a pick... :confused:

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Not on every song he didn't!

Trust me, you needed to hear it to believe it!

5. Bruce Lindfield

I know he used a pick for the multi-stringers, but I'm sure at the '74 gig I saw, he used his fingers on a Jazz bass, all the way through?

This is how I remember him :

[​IMG]

6. Bruce Lindfield

Or this :

[​IMG]

or this :

[​IMG]

or [​IMG]

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    cheers Bruce, precisley,

i always associated that warm, groovy tone with fingerstyle playing... needless to say the guy last night avoided that quality of tone like he was alergic...

JPJ was a trained jazzer, a professional, he played with a pick almost as an effect...

besides it's not hunanly possible to play what JPJ played, with the same feel, groove and tone, using a pick. as i witnessed last night!

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have been learning a couple of Led Zepplin tunes for a duo/trio project. It sounds like he is using a pick on Dyer Maker and Gallows Pole.

9. Bruce Lindfield

I think there's no doubt he used a pick on certain studio tracks - but generally, in the classic Led Zep period - he played fingerstyle throughout on live gigs - almost exclusively on his Fender Jazz.

After 1977 - he was playing all sorts of different basses - but at their best - between about '69 - '75 -it was the J bass.

10. I think the bassist is the bandleader-

the contact name on their website= Geoff,
    http://www.wholelottaled.co.uk/
    which judging from the BBC page and this one http://www.wbrotherhood.fsnet.co.uk/page58.html
    =the bassist.

...so it was probably a good thing you didn't approach the band saying their bassist was crap;)

a bit of digging around and it appears that the bassist and guitarist of Whole Lotta Led were in a rockabilly band called Chevrolet-
    http://www.rockabilly.nl/artists/chevrolet.htm

"Nick Ferris (lead guitar). Nick joined Crepes 'n' Drapes in 1979, when Mike Holder decided to leave the band. Nick had already played in various local groups covering a wide range of musical styles and he quickly adapted to playing rock 'n' roll with great skill and enthusiasm.

Geoff Hunt (bass). Geoff had been a rhythm guitarist for Crepes 'n' Drapes for a while in 1976. He was also responsible for the recording of the two songs issued on the Sonet album. Actually it was Geoff's idea to form Chevrolet after John, Nick and Ian had become disillusioned with Crepes 'n' Drapes."

formerly a rhythm guitarist, eh?

that would explain the pick-only technique....

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    huh, that review just goes to show ya- NOBODY notices the bassist except a bass player! Mentions all other 3 members. Not the bassist though. Of course, now we know why, I guess the reviewer was just observing the 'if you don't have anything nice to say' rule.

12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Here's an interesting little tidbit from the NAMM show a couple of years ago. :)

13. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    i have one of those no pick pins. Mine came with my e-bow.

14. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Sorry to hijack the threat somewhat,but i have to disagree with what you said about whole lotta led being the UK's best Zepp tribute act. I recently saw Fred Zeppelin and i can guarentee you that these guys would blow the socks off any other tribute band. The guitarist was amazing, had Page's style and sound down to a tee. The drummer could have been Bonzo and the singer, well he could compete with Plant now in my oppinion.

What confused me somewhat was that the bassist was using a Singray:confused: . When i walked in to the gig i was a little scepticle knowing that JPJ used mainly his Jazz. But this guy's sound was fantastic, probably down to the Line 6 rack pod that he was using and the Trace 1x15 and 4x10.

In addition, this guy used a pleck and to my ears sounded very much like JPJ. Now for those of you thinking how would a 15 year old know what Led Zep sounded like live? Well i don't. Luckily my dad was there who had seen Led Zep several times when he was young said that if you two blank cd's, one with these guys on, and the other with the real Led Zep on, you'd be pretty hard pushed to tell the difference.

Sorry, but i thought i would have to add my opinion on this band here.

If anyone every gets the chance, go and see Fred Zeppelin.

Matt

15. I personally wouldn't care if the bassist used a pick or not, as long as it sounded good. The bassist's poor time and lack of groove would be the issue for me.

16. I like a lot of instances of pick playing, but "Ramble on" and "what is and should never be" would sound odd with a pick, especially with a bright tone......:meh:

17. On the Led Zeppelin DVD JPJ used a pick on Black Dog. Doesn't matter to me, as long as it grooves and that song grooves.

18. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Alittle off here but, there's nothing worse than a band who decideds to do a cover of one of YOUR band's songs..and then completely butchers it.

Happened to me in high school. A classmates band did a cover of a song I did with my old band. Granted, we sucked, but they completely made our song look like a joke.

Back to our originally on topic thread

19. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Neither would I. This isnt a pick attacking post, it's a "using a a pick in a led zeppelin tribute band" attacking post.
    JPJ used fingerstyle most of the time, that was, a signeture part of his sound and it is part of the sound that was led zepellin. whole lotta led are a tribute band. and their bassist is not (capable of) doing his job in that band.

Wel, it wasny my quote, I read it somewhere, a flayer or the web site or something?
    FYI - Fred Zep are playing in Reading soon, I might go see them if thaty are as good as you say.