Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick Up Buzz, Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JazzBassMayn, Feb 17, 2006.

1. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    I hope that hasn't been too over exposed. Tonight my brothers and I were recording on a little 4 track in the bedroom and my bass was buzzing real bad, it does it all the time. I play a MIM Fender Jazz, with Duncan Antiquitys, it sounds fantastic, but the buzz. I am just wondering what I can do to stop it. One can only hear the buzz when there isn't much music going on, but in between songs and when I'm not playing, or when my fingers aren't on the stings, it buzzes. There has to be something that I can do. It's not the worst, but I would like to fix it. Thanks if anyones help me out!! By the way, the recordings sounded awesome.

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Check the set-up or pickups/electronics setion. There are many possible reasons for buzzing in a Jazz bass, and there are a few solutions.

3. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Turn up the volume on both pickups all the way before diagnosing any problems with buzz. There is a buzz inherent with single coils.

4. it might be a bad grounding, i had that problem with few basses. If it stops compleatly when you put your hands/fingers on the strings it is a 99% certainty that it is a gounding issue.

lowsound

5. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Sounds like a ground problem. Under the bridge there is a ground wire. If it does not contact the bridge, you'll have all sorts of buzzing sounds. I would check under the bridge or in the control cavity to see if anything is loose.

6. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    I'm aware of the single coil buzz, and I accept it. I keep both pickups at full volume all of the time... which tones the buzz down, but does not get rid of it. I'm not too sure of the terminology, but would "shielding" do anything for that? Again, I can live with it, and am happy with my tone, but if I could do away with the buzz it would be awesome, thanks again.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I beleive shielding will reduce any buzz which is caused by external sources.

8. If the buzzing stops when your hand is on the strings, it means your bridge ground is working. It sounds like you are picking up external noise which could be helped by shielding. See if still does it if you rotate the bass or move it a few feet away from other equipment. Also check if there is a light dimmer on the same circuit. Proper shielding sure can't hurt it.

9. Please post what you find. A friend has a 1978 Fender Jazz that has the same buzzing problems. It's unbearable to play/hear.

Paul Mac

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You don't really have to keep them at full volume, you just need to have them at the same volume.

11. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    The first thing I would do is shield the control compartment. There is shielding paint available, I think stewmac sells it. Just remove the controls, paint the compartment and replace the controls. The output jack will connect the ground to the paint. Then the only buzz you will have is from the pickups.

You can also paint the area under the pickups. But you have to ground it somehow.

12. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm not too sure if I want to take the electronics out of my bass. I'm not that knowledgable about all of the internal aspects of basses. I'll look around and see if I could attempt doing it. I would hate to mess something up though. Thanks again!!

13. vitch

vitch

Apr 27, 2006
    I recently purchased a brand new Fender Stu Hamm Urge 2 bass from a reputable dealer for Fender. I've never owned a Fender, and this seems to be a custom shop bass, lists for about $2400 and I paid $1340 plus shipping. Well that buzz is awful. It is worse when I use my smaller amp a Fender Bassman 150, but controllable with my Peavy Bam 210 with the modeling abilities. Some have no horn, or much tweeters, etc. My local guitar tech is ordering replacement P bass pickups Seymour Duncans Bass lines 1/4 pounders, and when he's inside he'll tape shield the Jass stacked Pickups too. We'll see if that helps. No matter what I will never buy another Fender product period. This is unacceptable for a bass priced like that. I have owned Carvin, Pedulla, Warwick, Ernie Ball Music Man (newer), my current Benavente 5, and this new Fender Stu Hamm. NONE of those others had this problem. I picked up every bass in my friends shop and they are were worse than mine in the same amps in his shop. Shameful electronics! Thats just my opinon, take it as such as I don't want to offend any of you Fender believers out there.
    When I can afford it, (if the changing out of the pickups doesn't work) I will get a Mike Lull 4 string with the same configuration of P and J bass pickups. I'll bet that does not buzz.