Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick-up Change: Rip-off or good??????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cliff harris, Jan 11, 2004.

1. cliff harris

cliff harris

Jul 18, 2003
    Lima, Peru
    Hi TB´ers!!!!!!!
    I Just bought a new Ibanez GSR 205 5-string for 260 bucks (The music shops here in Peru ain´t very orthodox, and u can get a price by negotiating, hence the price...) And my question is the following: I got mine with what appears to be DiMarzio ultra jazz 5-string pick-ups. I searched all big Internet music shops (Musicians Friend, Music 123...) And I saw all the pictures of GSR´s with black blade pick-ups (no lil´metal dots as in the DiMarzios I have), so I was wondering if the tweaking (unless the GSR´s come with those pu´s too) was good or I was ripped off.
    Bottom line, what´s better, the DiMarzios or the original pick-ups?????????
    The construction is solid and if there was any tweaking whatsoever, it was really neatly done...

Up the Irons!!!!!!!!! :bassist:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    hey, turn off your caps. In internet cenversations, it is akin to yelling.

3. cliff harris

cliff harris

Jul 18, 2003
    Lima, Peru
    sorry, just hate putting capital letters so i regularly use upper-case. sorry again if anyone was injured and/or killed. :bag:

Up the Irons!!!!!!!! :bassist:

4. cliff harris

cliff harris

Jul 18, 2003
    Lima, Peru
    i checked the ibanez website and the pick-ups where mentioned as PSNDJ5 N Neck PU and PSNDJ5 B Bridge PU. if it is any help, now u got the names of the standard pu´s

Up the Irons!!!!!! :bassist:

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

Ha, I like it. Well, nobody important was injured or killed, yet. :D :p You'll fit in here nicely! Weclome to talkbass. as for your first qestion, you might have to look for some more distinctive identifiying marks for those pickups. If they are dimarzios, I think you got a deal.

6. cliff harris

cliff harris

Jul 18, 2003
    Lima, Peru
    *mr. burns* eeeexcellent *mr. burns*
    hehehehe.. thanks for the quick replies and for the welcome.

7. cliff harris

cliff harris

Jul 18, 2003
    Lima, Peru
    i REALLY think they are DiMarzios ´cause they have
    2 lil´dots instead of one per string (total of 10 dots per pick up). besides DiMarzios, i haven´t seen (at least on the ´net) any 5 string pick-ups like that. If anyone knows, does DiMarzio put any kind of logo on their pick ups?????????

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The pickups have obviously been changed, but it's difficult to identify Ultra Jazzes visually because they're pretty bland to the naked eye. The 10 pole pieces (that's what the 'dots' are) is standard, and it's unusual to have 1 pole piece per string (commmon pickups that follow this trend are MusicMan style humbuckers and Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders).

9. cliff harris

cliff harris

Jul 18, 2003
    Lima, Peru
    can any of u guys post a list of manufacturers u know that make that kind of PU´s????? i know it´s a big favor but... i know you people r not the kind of guys that let down a fellow bassist (insert "i´m taking advantage of you people" smirk here_______) hehehehehe, nah! it´s just a good intentioned favor.

Up th Irons!!!!!!! :bassist:

10. cliff harris

cliff harris

Jul 18, 2003
    Lima, Peru
    hey SMASH! great to see u again. check the attachment. my PU´s look EXACTLY like those on the left.

Up the Irons!!!!!!! :bassist:

11. cliff harris

cliff harris

Jul 18, 2003
    Lima, Peru
    orry this thread is useless... i put the new thread button instead of the post reply button... :D sorry!

Up the Irons!!!!!!! :bassist:

12. cliff harris

cliff harris

Jul 18, 2003
    Lima, Peru
    Who the F/%$ has been messin´with my account?????
    :mad:

13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    When you do that by accident, please delete the extra threads. I did it for you this time.

Moved to Pickups.

14. cliff harris

cliff harris

Jul 18, 2003
    Lima, Peru
    ok, thanks dude!
    i tried erasing the posts but some message told me that i couldn´t. thanks anyway!!!

Up the Irons!!!!!!!:bassist:

15. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Fixed the post for you :D

Sorry for editing, but all caps post are as pleasent to me as having my eyes gouged out. :bawl: