1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PICK UP CHOICE... ***HELP***

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by moe.moe, Aug 5, 2012.

1. DiMarzio Model "J" pups

31.0%
  2. Seymour Duncan-Antiquity II pups

20.0%
  3. Seymour Duncan-Basslines

20.0%
  4. Jazzy Carrots with ranch dressing

32.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. moe.moe

moe.moe Endorsed by Mercy & Grace ™

Jun 22, 2008
    Hey everyone,
    I'm looking to upgrade my no-name jazz bass pups to either;

DiMarzio model "J" pups

OR

Seymour Duncans - Antiquity II Jazz pups

OR

Seymour Duncans - Basslines

2. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    basslines have three different jazz pups

what sound are yo trying to achieve?

3. monti2889

monti2889

Jul 19, 2012
    if you're looking for the "classic" sound, you may want to look into Kent Armstrong pickups, I put one on my P bass and love it, and if I remember right, it was a quite a bit cheaper than the di marzios and the basslines.

However, if you're set on those 3, I would probably pick the di marzio, followed closely by the antiquity. I may even contemplate a neck bridge situation, maybe put the more aggressive pup in the bridge position.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Out of that crop, I pick carrots... All are just ho hum IMO.

My fav set is the side by side split coil from Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe. You have to special order those I think. He made me the first prototype set a couple of years ago and I hunk they are fantastic. Two other players local to me thought so to and upgraded after hearing my J. The pickup is incredibly quiet while still retaining the essential single coil sound. They are perhaps a little 'throatier' than the typical J. Mind of J leaning towards P. due to the space limitations, there is not as much wire und per the cover so they are a tad quieter than some other J pickups. The tone and the quiet is well worth that trade off. The price for hand built and fully custom... About the same as off the shelf. The wait is maybe a couple of days more as they are built to order. Http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com. Tell 'em you want the side by split coil J's like Mal's. Pete and or Cyndi wil just laugh... But they'll build you a great set!

Plenty of other candidates out there.
    Lawrence for clean, clear, modern and relatively cheap
    Duncan sjb1 for 'vintage' on the cheap.
    Lollar for vintage are more expensive that the SJB1 and sound like it. Before the pickups from Vintage Vibe, the Lollards were best I'd heard.

I did not like the Any of the Duncan II's as the overwound thing doesn't sound balanced to me. Same with Model J's. Just boomy with unclear mids

5. Nordstrand.

That is all.

--Silvie

6. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    +1 on the Vintage Vibe. I've got 2 sets of Pete's J-bass pickups, and they're outstanding.

7. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If you don't know exactly what you want, but want better tone...the Model Js are a good option.

8. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I tried the Nordstrand's but they sound a little too compressed for me. I dropped a set of Fralin's in my Roscoe and really like the open tone they produce.

9. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    I have been using the Duncan STK-J2 jazz pickups and LOVE the clarity and tones.
    and boy that avatar of yours sure does look like Phil Lynott (RIP). :)

10. back2thefuture

back2thefuture

Aug 26, 2011
    Austin
  11. Man up mate, get a luthier to route in out and drop some MM dual coils in there, ones with Neodymium magnets, then drop in an 18 volt preamp. Passive electronics and single coils are so last century man, you gotta get with the times.

12. brotherbassj

brotherbassj

Sep 20, 2008
    Virginia
    Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink
    Lindy Fralins

13. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Antiquities all the way.

14. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    I would go with the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz. To me they get both vintage and modern tones.

15. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    DiMarzio all the,way

16. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Nordstrand NJ4SE/SV (V being the vintage-wound). Absolutely fantastic pickups.

17. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    +1 that's what I did and I have no regret.

18. Firesalt

Firesalt Is good enough. Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    +1

19. Nidan

Nidan

Oct 31, 2008
    Duluth , Ga
    I have the Dimarzio stacks in my Jazz Fretless .. love em

20. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Enthusiastic +1! Right on! I am a huge fan of Kent Armstrong pups. Ironically, my other fave is the Seymour Duncan Antiquities :) But they are extremely expensive. For the $$, you can't beat Kent Armstrong, and they are truly vintage in sound.