Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick up config for my custom

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Aug 9, 2002.

1. I'm builing a body, and am getting ready to route for pick ups. The thing is, I haven't decided what config I want.

I already have a Jazz, a P and a MM and a soon to be modified P/J.

Here are the specs of the bass
    BODY:Ash core, bookmatched figured Walnut top
    NECK: All Maple from Warmoth
    4 string
    35" scale (if I can get one, otherwise it'll have to be 34")
    passive electronics.

I'm leaning toward the P/ MM config, wired Neck Volume/ Bridge Volume/ Master Tone.

2. P-MM is good, other suggestions might be MM-MM or MM-J (not J-MM thats lame so many people have that)

Edit: You got a 35" scale neck from warmoth which isn't a Gecko ??

3. Try something different: a pair of dual-coil soapbars close to the bridge, a la the Sadowsky 24-fret fivers or the old Modulus SST.

4. MM - MM sounds interesting. I might go for a dual coil soap like Peter mentioned, along with a MM, or other style humbucker. MM-J would look kinda funny, I think. J-MM is nice, but everyone is doing that now. I might go with the Dual soaps like on the Yamaha Nathan East bass.

I haven't ordered the neck yet. I really only have it in my head as far as what I want. If all they sell (without being a custom) is 34" scale necks then I guess that is what I'll get. Since, IIRC the Gecko's are 5 string only.

I need to look into it a bit more, but I'd like a 35" scale neck with the unfinished headstock.

Something else I thought of was instead of going with a VVT pot setup, I might get the stacked pots, and have a volume/ tone for each pick up.

Grrr... so many choices. :p

Right now it's P/MM vs. Dual Soaps and VVT vs. stacked pots.

5. MM-J is similar to what is used on some warrior basses.

If you really want a 35" scale, I think you'll have to go for a moses neck (Link)

6. I thought about that, but I want a 2+2 headstock, not some Fender look alike.

The only places that sell blank paddle heads are Warmoth and StewMac, and StewMac only sells maple/ rosewood necks.

7. Moses also offers a Moses 2+2 scooped on that neck

[​IMG]

8. If moses came with a blank paddle head and no logo, I'd be on it. But, that look really doesn't fit what I'm going for, too Ibanez-ish.

9. Sam V

Sam V Guest

Aug 3, 2002
    Canada - Calgary AB
    I like MM-J... but I guess I don't see bass playing as a "trendy" thing. I played one of those limited edition warwicks with the swirly bubinga top and it had that configuration. the J was angled, making it a perfect fiting thumbrest. I would seriously consider doing that same setup to a custom bass. so maybe its trendy to the vogue players, but it feels just right for me.

10. Sam if I understand your post correctly I think you are talking about J-MM setup (J-Neck pickup, MM bridge pickup) as seen in the picture below and NOT MM-J configuration (MM-Neck pickup,J-bridge pickup)

[​IMG]

11. I have actually the same problem as ChaosGwar.

I'm going to have a custom bass build and I don't know what pick-up configuration I should ask for.

I like the P/J configuration a lot, but I also tried some basses (Kritz and Warwick) with J/MM combination and I liked that too.

Is it possible to build a combination of these 2 configurations ? Sorta-like J/P/J/MM or J/P/MM/J.

This probably will be too much. I was also thinking of 3 jazz pick-ups: at the neck, in the middle an at the bridge. Just like a saw once at a Jazz Bass from Nicky Wire from the Manic street Preachers.

13. Cool, that's an awesome bass, I didn't know this German brand. Makes cosidering what I should get now :) , one thing's for certain, I want an european bass.

I just thougt of something: how does a J/P configuration sound compares to P/J ?

14. AFAIK the bassistof Tomahawk uses a J-P bass on god hates a coward (at least in the live video)

15. Since I'm very curious about this subject I'm gonna keep on asking :) :

Can you also place 2 jazz pickups next to each other at the bridge.
    I know I liked the sound on my Aria Pro II with only my J pickup switched on at the bridge. I'm in favour with such sharp sounds, like Justin's sound from Tool.
    How would 2 there sound ?

16. how about a reverse p at the neck and a mm or some other soap bar humbucker at the bridge..I've played a bass with the reverse p pup and it sounded pretty tight...just an idea???

17. Yes it is possible and some companies also offer dual j-pickups in one casing (similar to a soapbar and can be used as humbucker or 2 singlecoils)

18. I did some reading up on the reverse P, and think I know what I'm gonna do.

Reverse P, in a higher position than the standard P placement, with a humbucker at the Sterling/ Ray 5 position.

19. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    How about two Bart quadcoils, with some switches to make it change between P, reverse P, J-like, humbcker....
    And then, the neck pup slanted backwards, i.e. the bass side closer to the bridge, than the the treble side. For better string balance.

PS Custom Bart 4-coil, with MM-aperture...hows that?:D DS

20. Sam V

Sam V Guest

Aug 3, 2002
    Canada - Calgary AB
    yeah thats right l0calh05t, thats how I understood it. I love that set up