Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick-up cover on a Ric 4003

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dstolk, Jan 5, 2003.

1. dstolk

dstolk

Dec 29, 2002
    Rockford, IL USA
    Got a great deal on a Ric 4003 on-line, but now find that the pick-up cover is right where I'm most comfortable plucking the strings. Is it possible to remove this cover without affecting the tone. And what does this cover do anyway?

2. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    You can remove the cover -- it's kind of a pain though, not nearly as easy I thought at first. You have to take the strings off, release the cover via totally removing the screws, and then screw the pickup back in position through the little springs. (I think...I've giving these instructions from memory.)

Think about it before you bother though: After the hassle of pulling off the cover I realized that I was playing right next to the bridge (behind the bridge pickup) anyway - so I didn't have to take it off in the first place.

As far as tone goes, I didn't notice any difference between having the cover on or off.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Let me know if you want to get rid of your cover - I'm missing mine. (They're cheap, but I'm too lazy to order one online!)

4. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    The cover is there for cosmetic purposes only, to simulate the look of the earlier model 4001's with the horse shoe pick up.

5. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Agreed. The process is a bit of a pain, as described above, but not that hard. I'm very happy to have taken it off. I always thought Geddy Lee's 4001 looked cool without the cover and Chris Squire's looked cool with it. So as long as it's cosmetic, my view was "why limit where you can play?"

6. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Chris Squire's 4001 HAS the horse shoe pick up. The "pick up cover" is actually a horse shoe magnet surrounding the pick up. These are identified by a "gap" running parallel with the strings between the second and third string. Removal of the magnet WOULD affect the sound of the pick up.

7. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Tim is correct (wouldn't it actually destroy the pickup?). I understood that (hence the reference to "functional" vs. "cosmetic"), I just didn't think it was necessary to go into detail since we're not actually talking about a vintage 4001 with the horseshoe/toaster combo. But I should have been more precise. My bad and so I appreciate Tim filling in the gap.

8. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I did some testing with a 4001V63 bridge pickup and it seems to me that the horseshoe is not much of a magnet. I tested the whole pickup with magnetic viewing paper and only the alnico poles registered any magnetism. I then took it apart and set the horseshoes aside and it sounded pretty similar. I'd guess the steel horseshoes may be acting like the steel plate under a Tele pickup and changing the tone, but not really contributing the the magnetic field above the pickup coil. It's a very well made pickup, though.

9. Hey, believe it or not, I'm actually looking for a cover. I realized that I don't play over that pick-up, and wouldn't mind having something there for looks. I have an '81 4003, and wouldn't at least mind finishing off the "cosmetics" to it. If any of you have one that you want to get rid of, I'd happily take it off your hands. Otherwise I'd have to order it from Ric, and, as pathetic as it may sound, I really don't have the $12 it costs... (I'm 18, and headed for college, money is a rare sight these days)
    So if anyone is interested in donating a horseshoe to the Evan Sweetman Finishing His Ric Fund, maybe I could scrounge up a few bucks for shipping, maybe a few extra for the shoe itself...
    my AIM is Flying Fuz, and hotmail is fuzzybassist@hotmail.com...
    Cheers,
    Evan