1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pick-up cover on or off... difference?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basmicke, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Those primitive SCPB pickups can definitely use the protection.

If the covers affect your playing style (i.e. attack method) in any way, shape or form (and they do w/ me), that is definitely going to impact the sound.

I haven't attempted to scientifically compare for any differences in electronic response. I just tinker until I find the configuration that overall works best for me onstage. That would be: no covers on the J and just the pickup cover on the '74 P (that style is so nice and round and comfy).

Bridge covers mess with my RH palm muting but I do like them for a foam mute. FWIW my SC Tele currently rules the herd - with both covers on.

2. basmicke

basmicke

May 31, 2008
    Are you using foam under your bridge cover on your SC Tele?
    I sure like the looks with covers on but I also use my right hand for muting and that's impossible for me with the bridge cover on unfortunately.
    Regarding the cover over the pick up I'm now sure it makes a difference in sound but I'm so used to playing without covers that I don't think it's worth the technique suffering. The sound difference is not big, just a nuance.

3. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    When I play a bass with a pickup cover, it seems to prompt me to play in a more thump-y and vintage-y way because of the look. So it does indirectly affect my tone, but not in any acoustic or electronic way! It's in the fingers, baby.

4. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Yes, I use a foam mute w/ the Tele bridge cover. I had intended to go without a cover, like I do on my other basses. But on that particular instrument, the cover w/ foam won out.

I find the chrome covers are particularly relevant for those slab bodies. The keep my wrists from fraying against the sharp corners.

5. basmicke

basmicke

May 31, 2008
    Ok. I might try that. I know what you mean with the scar (and blood loss) on the wrist. I had a -51 reissue before.
    Now I'm the proud owner of a -55 so it has the contoured body but it could be nice for an authentic 50s sound.