Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick up covers?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by georgecarter, Jan 25, 2002.

1. I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I am looking to add a vintage look for my bass. I am considering buying a pick up and bridge cover just like you see on vintage basses.

I have a Fender Jazz 5 string but I don't know if these add ons are made or where I can buy them.

Any suggestions guys and gals?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm not sure if the bridge cover would fit. The neck pick up cover might fit, but I'm not 100% sure.

3. I am hopping to find a bridge and pick up cover that will fit my 5 string. I am even willing to get one custom made if I must.

4. Hey!

One of the reason Fender put the covers on was in an effort to make the bass sound more like an doghouse bass. The bridge cover muted the A D G strings and left the E un-muted. The Pickup cover was part of the shielding for the pickups (Were talking P-bass history here). This was used with flat wound strings and really does a killer job as far as attempting to make that up right sound. (Well, as much as a P-bass could.) I have a big chunk of foam I use next to my bridge to do the same thing. Works really slick on both my J and P Bass.

The look of covers would be cool but I don't know if there is covers made for a Jazz 5.

Is there? :confused:

5. I put a regular size four string bridge cover on a mim Jazz 5 string. I had to grind off a little of the bridge with a dremel (it's brass). It sits a little closer to the end of the body but not so's you'd notice

6. I would prefer not to do any grinding to the bridge unless its a last resort but thanks for the idea.