Pick up covers?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by georgecarter, Jan 25, 2002.

1. I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I am looking to add a vintage look for my bass. I am considering buying a pick up and bridge cover just like you see on vintage basses.

I have a Fender Jazz 5 string but I don't know if these add ons are made or where I can buy them.

Any suggestions guys and gals?
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm not sure if the bridge cover would fit. The neck pick up cover might fit, but I'm not 100% sure.
  3. I am hopping to find a bridge and pick up cover that will fit my 5 string. I am even willing to get one custom made if I must.
  4. Hey!

One of the reason Fender put the covers on was in an effort to make the bass sound more like an doghouse bass. The bridge cover muted the A D G strings and left the E un-muted. The Pickup cover was part of the shielding for the pickups (Were talking P-bass history here). This was used with flat wound strings and really does a killer job as far as attempting to make that up right sound. (Well, as much as a P-bass could.) I have a big chunk of foam I use next to my bridge to do the same thing. Works really slick on both my J and P Bass.

The look of covers would be cool but I don't know if there is covers made for a Jazz 5.

Is there? :confused:
  5. I put a regular size four string bridge cover on a mim Jazz 5 string. I had to grind off a little of the bridge with a dremel (it's brass). It sits a little closer to the end of the body but not so's you'd notice
  6. I would prefer not to do any grinding to the bridge unless its a last resort but thanks for the idea.