1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pick up covers

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cjbhunter, Sep 5, 2008.

1. cjbhunter

cjbhunter

Aug 18, 2008
    i was thinking of making some pick up covers for my bass since i always thought wooden ones were cool, is there anything ill need to know about like will thickness of wood or kind affect anything?

2. topic has been covered many times before but here is the short version: if it is too thick the coils get further away from the strings, lowering output. Wood itself is transparent to magnetic flux and does not affect the pickup.

3. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Kind of wood won't really effect anything tonally.

Like joeyl says, don't make it too thick, you won't be able to get the pickup close enough for a good output.

By the same token, don't make it so thin that clamping or drilling causes cracks or damages the cover.

Make sure you plan everything out well, as it can be easy to make the pickup cover incorrectly so that it doesn't accomodate your pickup output desires.

4. cjbhunter

cjbhunter

Aug 18, 2008
    thank you for the help i have done some some searching on this site and only came across old archives.