1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pick Up Covers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monroe55, Apr 6, 2009.

1. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    On the Fender basses, whats the purpose of them big, shiney chrome covers that come with some of them???

2. This outta be good!
    I'm heading out the door to go to work.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    They're shiny and chrome.

Other than that, I do find they are a handy place to place your hand. Most folks seem to use them for ashtrays.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I prefer the originals to the covers. Covers are for posers.

That was an inside other thread joke that I'm sure I'm the only one laughing at.

"edit": didn't orinally read the OP. glad I plugged in. this will be more fun than i thought.

5. StrungGutz

StrungGutz Banned

Apr 6, 2009
    They, um, cover the pickups.

6. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    O.k, O.K. Ive had enough already. :oops:Everyone call off your dogs. I should have known better than to ask that question here. Thought maybe they had an effect on the pickups or something. Why the hell would they put something like these on their basses anyway?? Fugly

7. heroesofalma

heroesofalma

Jul 4, 2008
    Sure, they look real pretty if you have a chrome fetish or don't like looking at pickups and bridges!

I guess they get in the way of string changes and intimate right hand work.

I heard they were part of a basic Fender attempt at shielding pickups to reduce hum eg Jazz bass? Maybe not the P Bass so much

Rob

8. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    some people say it makes slap sound brighter, but even if that was true, the intention seems to be purely aesthetical

9. Your41Plague12

Your41Plague12

Oct 30, 2007
    It was done purely for looks. If you like them, put them on. If not, the majority of bassists agree with you.

10. I love the look of 'em on vintage Fenders... they look naked without 'em.

11. I have read, that supposedly, they were used to somewhat shield the pup
    on the original P-bass.
    I believe I've also read that it gave the first P-basses a futuristic look, also a nice chrome look much like the cars of the day.
    A few folks anchor their thumb on the pup cover when playing 'tween the covers.
    I remember when I bought my '75 brand new. I was convinced by a few that it wasn't cool to keep the covers on, so off they came, including the thumbrest.
    I have since put the bridge cover back on and bought a repro thumbrest and pup cover (I can't find my originals)
    Most of my basses have at least the bridge cover on, as much as I like the pup cover, it tends to get in my way.
    My '51RI is my only bass with BOTH covers on.

Some like 'em. Some don't.
    I like 'em. :cool:

12. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    I tend to rest my thumb on my pickups, so I will install a bridge cover if the pickup on my P's are too far into the body to anchor my thumb on it. Given the choice, I prefer to leave them off, though.

13. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes, for aesthetics. Chrome bits were meant to hide them unsightly electronics back in the day...I quite like the look of a cover over the neck pup, be it P or J, but don't dig the bridge covers....but yeah, bac in the day those bridge designs were pretty rudimentary, and might have been thought of as unrefined looking.

As yeah, the thought of those as ashtrays makes me shudder, tho it's very true.