Pick up DC resistance wrong :(

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dudeonthebass, Mar 8, 2010.

1. dudeonthebass

dudeonthebass

Jul 2, 2008
    St.Osyth
    I have a SD Quarter Pounder SPB3 PU

According the the SD website, the resistance is supposed to be 12.5 k

i have checked my soldering joints, they appear dull, but my multimeter shows no resistance on my joints

my reading is 11.36k

Why is this :( ?

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Because resistance readings on pickups will typically vary by some amount. That is normal. You're talking about wire wrapped around a magnet--there is lots of natural variation in those materials and their physical relationship when assembled.

3. dudeonthebass

dudeonthebass

Jul 2, 2008
    St.Osyth
    Will this make a difference in volume in tone ?

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If the difference was like from 12.5 to 4.5 ohms, then yeah, there would be some noticeable difference; from 12.5 to ~11.5 will not have any audible difference.

5. Measure a handful of identical pickups and I doubt it if any of them will have the same reading.

The DC resistance can vary depending on many factors.
    I bet you would get different readings if you measured it again at a different time of day...:hyper:

Like I told you yesterday when we IM'd, DC resistance means nothing. Don't worry about it.

6. The DC resistance of the same model pickup make by the same builder should be just about identical from one to the next.
    The reason your pickup is reading different that the specs listed on the SD site is because of changes in temperature. Heat makes DC resistance in a magnet wire coil go up. Cold makes it go down.

There's nothing wrong with your pickup.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021