Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pick up for my new bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Yvon, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I think I have my new bass specs out...

Swamp ash body
    Maple neck
    Maple fret board
    It will be a four string made of warmoth parts.

I already have the vintage sound covered with my Lakland JO and my P bass, with this one I want a more agressive sound with lots of bottoms a clear highs.
    I don't know much about pickups though...after reading Smash shout out, I think the Dimarzio ultra jazz would be perfect, but there is so many great pickups.
    I want a good slap sound, more agressive, more modern (then the vintage, passive fender sound).

Also I will probably go with an active onboard pre... I was thinking about the aguilar OB3, I really want the mid EQ.

Any sugestion about pick ups and pre?
    Nordstrand?
    Lindy?
    Aero?
    Lane Poor if i can find a set?
    EMG?
    Barts?

2. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    what about MM style humbucker? Seems to fit your sound description...

Qui va la monter?

PL

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
  4. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    Don't know the man, I'm sure he knows what he's doing. I've mostly dealt with Pierre Laporte and heard of a bunch of other guys through him, but never of Sake.

I'd suggest you check Seymour Duncan for your pickups, there MM system might be what you're looking for.

take care
    PL

5. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    EMG is usually pretty bright and "trebbly" sounding...and have a great slap tone, not the deepest, but deffintly good.

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada

Pierre Laporte is great, but a few years ago the waiting list was really really long!!
    I don't know if it's better now.
    Sake is also very very good, much better then MF or Clairmont de la Croisetière or any other luthier I tried in the montreal area.

7. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    The list is getting shorter... but it's still not short by any mean!