pick-up height

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dougray, Dec 12, 2005.

1. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i read the Fender website pick-up height info.
    like to know what other TBr's have their pick-ups height adjusted at? i have a lakland 55-01 bass with the MK1's with an aguilar obp-3 pre-amp, using what the fender site suggests, bass side 7/64" and treble side 5/64" , seems to me it should be the same at both ends? i was thinking 5/64"??
    i know there is a host of things to consider,playing style,do i "dig" in,etc. i dont use a pick and i do "dig" in sometimes. i play 80's style rock. i use nickel round wound strings.
    any info or suggestions as to where my pick-up height should be? or is this being "anal" :eek: ,lol...

2. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Start with those settings in the guide, or about 1/8" from each string when pressed down at the highest fret.

Start messing around with it a bit, you'll find a "sweet spot". Higher height gets more lows, lower height gets more mids and highs. Once you find the sweet spot, very slight changes will take you around the tonal range of the pickup. Alter to your taste and playing style.
  3. While (and instead) I was changing pickups (singles Duncans,Fralins) on my ´68 Fender Jazz, I forgot about looking for "the sweet spot".
    That was a big mistake. After some lowering and balancing my "Fender Original Jazz Bass Pickups" I have finelly found "that jazz bass sound": shiny, crunchy.Soundmen in our recording studio liked my tone much more now.;)