pick up height

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I am still a relative newbie and have some set up questions maybe somebody could help with. Can somebody please explain how to properly adjust the height of my pickups. The only adjustments I have made to a p/u is that I once had to lower one side of the back p/u (closest to bridge) because the G string was buzzing on the p/u. Is there any kind of rule as to where they should be? As close to the strings as possible without buzzing? Would this (having p/u's adjusted to the optimum height) even have much effect on my tone?
  2. It's entirly your choice.

I've found that adjusting the hieght can alter sound, so whatever sound you like!

The lower my pups are, the 'dryer' the sound gets... Could just be me! and I'm no expert ;)
  3. nivagues

Jan 18, 2002

The following is Fender setup & appears to be basically the same for other Basses, unless the pickups themselves are active.

For the bass side: depress E string at last fret and aim for 4/32 inches from bottom of string to top of outside magnets on all pickups.
    For the treble side: depress G string at lst fret but aim for 3/32 inches in same manner as above.

Measurements in play position...easiest way is to be seated with bass on your lap.

That should put you in the ballpark. May have to use your ear to make small adjustment if one side is louder/softer than the other.