Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pick-up height

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by grinder, Dec 6, 2002.

1. grinder

grinder

Nov 11, 2002
    New York,U.S.A.
    Need advice on setting pick-up height.How close to the strings should they be set?If it makes any differance,I have active pick-ups on a 5-sring and do a fair amount of slapping.

2. I tend to set a pickup height that isnt too close to the strings. Especially with slapping. you dont want the string clacking against it.

But then dont set it too low or you wont pick up all the dynamics of the strings. Leave it at a half way point in regards to your action.

:D:D

Merls

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Basic figure, called by Big F, is 1/4"=6 mms, measured from under the strings.
    If you slap you want them lower than the fretboard.
    If you play Jeff Berlin style, you might want them higher.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    6 mm is a lot, at least if you like to "play the pickup" a la Billy Sheehan.

I have set my Bartolini soapbars at 1-1.5 mm (bridge pup) and 2.5 mm (neck).

No problem with slapping either.

5. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Hey Merls... I'm BAAAAACK... ;)

I couldn't help but think of a sexual analogy relating to your theory on setting string height. This will probably be edited by a mod, so I hope you get to see it before that happens... :rolleyes:

Think of setting your pickup height as you would penetration... If you're penetrating too far, you'll effectively be pounding on the cervix and causing your partner a great deal of pain... Your bass won't be moaning like mad, it will be screaming for mercy (you all know the nasty, distorted sound I speak of when the string hits the pickup). However, if you're just barely poking in there, your bass won't be doing any moaning at all (weak signal, no dynamics). It may even look at you like this --->:rolleyes: which is never a good sign. Logically, based on this information, we will attempt to penetrate as deeply as possible without banging into the cervix in order to maximize the pleasure by both parties... It may involve changing positions (raising or lowering your pickup) or altering your mechanism for thrusting (maybe not plucking so hard). This will make for some serious moaning from the lady (if only it were that simple, right guys??? LOL)... the kind you can't help but tell your friends about (the optimum signal). Now is that so hard to understand? :D

Tom

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    :D

7. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    ::sigh of relief... he now has a witness:: :p

8. grinder

grinder

Nov 11, 2002
    New York,U.S.A.
    Thanks for the advise.Should I use Astro glide and a condom while adjusting them?

9. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    As always, these choices are up to those participating in the act. Use common sense...

10. You should write an entire setup guide.

11. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Sorry bud, it's dead week, meaning not a lot of free time. Finals are next week, and after that, I'll be at home on dial-up. Perhaps I should go about this the old fashioned way (keep in mind that I could have gone into a much more explicit explaination, but I wanted the thread to last long enough that Merls would see it). hehehe... later---

Tom

12. I hath seen, I hath laugh, i hath no BLOODY idea what to do! :p

Hmmm, Is anyone offended? If so, message me then i'll remove it... if not then good one Tom talk about cutting it fien though heehee... ;)

:D:D

Merls

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

merls- I say leave it. If anything it will be a good biology lesson that maybe our Dad's should have told us about when were doing our thing in the backseat of our cars.

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I say leave it too. It's not like there's any swearing, and nothing that a kid wouldn't/shouldn't hear in biology/sex ed lessons at school.

15. You see son, when a man loves a woman, its alot like setting up your pickup height...

16. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    oh god... ::shakes his head::

what have i done? :p

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Make sure you use your Chef voice for that!

18. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Actually, if your son is an experienced bass player, that's one easy way out of the sex talk most parents attempt to have at some point...

19. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    :D

20. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    I would simply like to let it be known that I've suddenly thought of a beautiful analogy for vibrato in relation to a woman's (synchronous) hip-gyrations... Don't tempt me... :p