1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pick up question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bass_study, Jul 30, 2012.

1. bass_study

bass_study

Apr 17, 2012
    I owned a Fender jazz deluxe and I tried all mean to change that metallic high sound from the bass. If turn the tone to zero it disappear, but it lost the attack. I even change to Lindy Franklin pick up but it doesn't help.... I've heard many fender bass has this metallic sound and seems they don't have a problem with it.

One day I played my friends passive jazz bass with Seymour Duncan pick up, it is the dream tone I've been looking for. When I turned up the tone all the way with bridge pick up, it is crystal clear and punchy!! A little like those old funk Bass tone. But he did not willing to sell me..

I really want to know if it's my active bass 'a preamp problem? It's there any clip with Seymour Duncan SJB03 clip with passive jazz. I really want to know if I buy a passive jazz with Duncan, that I can get that kind of sound .

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    What kind of strings does he have on that bass? It sounds like you want flat wounds. Round wounds have that bright ringing top end.

Back when I got tired of that ringing top end I used some LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass stainless steel flats. They have a crisp top end, but with none of the piano tone.

Also, lots of old funk recordings back in the 70s were done on P basses, and often with flats.

3. bass_study

bass_study

Apr 17, 2012
    I've tried to use flat before, it did improve the problem, but there are still quite alot of metallic sound once I roll the tone up

I am glad that I am not the only one who don't like those high....

He uses roundwound strings. He still have metallic sound When the neck pick up is roll up, but the bridge pick up is just crystal clear

Anyway thanks for remind me the flatwound... I almost forgot I still got one pack left

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Oh I like the highs. I use a fairly bright tone. But there was a period of time back in the 80s when I got tired of that tone.

You can also adjust the EQ on your amp.

If flats are too metallic then you need to either try different flats or adjust your amp. Electric basses use metallic strings, so that's how they sound. These are the same strings you hear on those old records too. Only they often turned down the high end.

Nylon tapewounds are pretty dark sounding.