1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pick-up recommendation for Cleveland New Standard Hybrid?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bassdog69, Mar 13, 2018.

1. bassdog69

bassdog69

Mar 13, 2018
    I have a Cleveland New Standard Hybrid bass and have a Fishman full-circle on it. I have a
    Fishman pre-amp as well that doesn't seem to improve the amplified sound. I am not that happy with the sound of the pick-up sound quality. Does anyone have any recommendations for other pickups that they are using on a New Standard bass? I have Spirocores on the bass. Thank you.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    What are the specific parts of your signal chain from pickup to amplifier?

3. bassdog69

bassdog69

Mar 13, 2018
    I am usually plugging my bass directly into my acoustic image amp. I bought a Fishman pre-amp hoping that would improve the amplified sound, but it doesn't.

4. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Could string weight be of concern? Maybe consider a heavier/ lighter gauge?

bassdog69 likes this.
  5. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    The Full Circle is a very reliable pickup and the Fishman Preamp is configured to get the most out of the Full Circle. Tomastik Spirocores have been one othe standard Jazz strings for years. Your Acousitc Image amp is a very reliable and well voiced amp for Double Bass. There are lots of options. The Yamahiko Pickup is the original piezo in a adjuster design. The Full Circle was based on the Yamahiko. The Ischel contact microphone is very well doccumented in it’s own thread. Players are very fond of both
    these devices.

Ric

bassdog69 likes this.
  6. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I have a Cleveland New Standard plywood edition. The Full Circle works great BUT I’ve greatly enhanced the tone by going through an HPF-2 (on my bass for on-hand volume, rolloff, and phase control) and then into a Sansamp Para Driver DI. The latter is my secret weapon. It kills the piezo honk/clunk and allows me to get a big, warm sound. I *never* play the upright now without it. From there it’s into an Acoustic Image Clarus 4S+ and a Fearless F112 or my old Acoustic Image Contra + a matching extension. I’ve used this with Spirocore Mittels (Stark E), and now with Innovation Ultra Blacks, with equal success.

8024E133-2352-41C9-B661-537472F5D3DB.

7. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Have you tried rotating the Full Circle? There is a range of tone available within a 90-degree arc.

bassdog69 likes this.
  8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

What settings do you find crucial on the para driver? How do you think it goes about killing the honk?

9. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Here’s my settings. It’s the older model but I suspect things generally apply. (I keep this photo on my phone to remind me if I forget.) The mids setting is the key. I sometimes roll off a bit more of the bass. Depends on the room. Blend is fully wet. I don’t know how it deals with the honk but it’s a selling point in the Tech21 sales literature and I’ll swear to it.

848CB204-1F16-4DA8-8631-EF14D1FCEF81.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    bassdog69 likes this.
  10. bassdog69

bassdog69

Mar 13, 2018
    I think it helped a little. thanks.

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Cool - I see this version doesn't have the "Rumble" and "Air" switches and I was wondering if they had anything to do with it. I may have to check one of these out, especially since I see that it has a 4.7 megOhm input impedance. They also make a bass driver that seems to be almost exactly the same thing. Curious how you ended up with the regular paradriver?

(Sorry for the thread derail, but it sounds like this product might also help the OP!)

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    @bassdog69 - the Full Circle is the pickup I have been using for over 10 years now on a New Standard LaScala hybrid and would be my pickup of choice for your bass as well. In my experience, the two things that make it sound better are an input impedance of about 5 MegOhm and a high pass filter to tame some of the rumble.

If you can give more information about two thing, people may be able to better help you:
    - What specific Acoustic Image amp are you using?
    - What is it that you don't like about the sound you are getting (i.e. - too boomy, too nasal, to much high end, etc.)?

Ric Vice likes this.
  13. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Unfortunately I’m in love with my Ebony adjusters, but if anyone ever figures out how to put a piezo in one, I’m there. It’s likely impossible to accomplish as the shell wouldn’t be the right thickness to transfer vibrations to the piezo crystals.

14. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Sure. My pickup actually goes into the HPF-2 which has a 10 megohm input impedance, so even better. I bought the Para Driver on a lark to use with my acoustic guitar. It’s not a bass-specific tool but is aimed at acoustic instruments generally, and when I tried it with the upright there was no going back. I’m not alone in this and I think there’s some threads here which have discussed its value for acoustic bass. The Bass Driver might serve, but my reading seems to place it more in the amp simulation preamp space for electric bass.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  15. bassdog69

bassdog69

Mar 13, 2018
    If you can give more information about two thing, people may be able to better help you:
    - What specific Acoustic Image amp are you using?
    - What is it that you don't like about the sound you are getting (i.e. - too boomy, too nasal, to much high end, etc.)?[/QUOTE]
    The AI amp i'm using is a clarus 2r 2 channel amp and sometimes I use my old polytone mini-brute iii
    The high end is not as loud as the low end. the spectrum of sound is not very even through the full circle.
    Thanks for all your help.

16. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    I was also disappointed with the Full Circle on my Cleveland hybrid, but
    I am happy with the Planet Wing pickup on that bass, with a midrange cut around 455hz.
    Wing pickups tend to kill some of the acoustic sound, but since you are amplifying anyway it doesn't matter so much. It is better to remove it for un-amplified playing though.
    I like the Lifeline on my Cleveland ply, but not on the hybrid.

bassdog69 likes this.
  17. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I have moved the SansAmp Para Driver tangent into its own thread that can be found here so as not to further clutter up this thread.