1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pick-up Replacement questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by yourxrayeyes, Oct 30, 2006.

1. yourxrayeyes

yourxrayeyes

Jan 15, 2006
    Detroit
    Ok a few years back i inherrited a 1978 fender p-bass from a cousin who pased. When i got it, it was in rough shape but i was able to restore it. Now i am in the market for a new pick up. It currently has Seymour Duncan APB-2 active p-bass pickups, of which i am not a fan. If anyone can suggest some pick-ups which would be a good replacement. I'm looking for something with some punch and as noiseless as possible, money is not an issue. I play in 2 bands, one is a rock band in the vein of the killers/foo fighters and another is a soul band (Stax/Motown style) so something that can blend well for both. I'm not the biggest p-bass afficianado so any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone can suggest the best pot configuration for volume and/or tone. I'f i'm correct the pots in there are really high i think around 300-500k.

thanks for any and all help

2. Seymour Duncan SPB-3 is what I use.
    Excellent pickup

250K-300K pot

3. hugo5

hugo5

May 1, 2005
    How did you wire it? I can't get the tone control to work, using the original pot. I wired as shown on the S.M. diagram.
    Is there any trick to use additional switches for different sounds?

4. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    I cannot recommend a Nordstrand NP-4 highly enough.

Vol = 250K
    Tone = 250K
    Tone cap = .047uf

all the best,

R

5. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Seymour Duncan 1/4 lbr. Just put one in my 82 Walnut Precision Special and it now kills! I've got a Nordstrand NP-4 coming to try out, but I doubt that it will replace the Duncan.

6. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    O ye of little faith :)

all the best,

R

7. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I really like the Fralin P pickup

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021