Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pick up trouble

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lewi_wilko, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    Hey, i am wanting to change the pick ups on my epiphone explorer bass, as shown... http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=113&CollectionID=12

but i know nothing at all about anything to do with pickups so i would just like to know some things.

I was thinking about removing the pick up closest to the neck completely because it realy restricts my slapping but the problem with that is i will have a big hole in the middle of my bass. Than i was thinking about replacing my other pick up with one of the big music man pick ups, but im not sure.

so could anyone give me some advice on that idea, and maybe give me a few ideas on other pick ups to use.

Cheers :D

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

A practical option would be pup swap. Measure the pups you've got and go to the various pup sights and look for the same dimensions. Go to harmonycentral.com and read the reviews on that bass and see what other guys have done. Buy your pups used off ebay and resale them when the bass goes, stick the old pups back in and you won't be out much if anything.

A sansamp or the like may be the most viable option, especially if your amp/and or pups suck. Then you don't have to do anything to the bass. Do the same ebay thing with the Sans/whatever. Pups swaps are fine if you're into it but you can spend forever going through pups - if you had forever options which you won't with a soapbar shape. The number of guys who genuinely don't like a Sans you can about count on your thumb. I just got one and I have no complaints. It's probably about as close to a consensus thumbs up as you'd ever get from bass players on one piece of gear and it will put out a loud thundering wrecking ball tone most players would probably kill for. And it has a presence control that works well for slap. You can get them used for less than a new set of pups through vendors.

You could make another pickgaurd to cover the bridge routing and route for an MM but both of those options would be expenditures you'll never recover.

3. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    what is a decent sansamp to buy?

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    The Sans bass driver di is what I picked up it. I've also got an MXR DI coming and I'm hoping it will do better in terms of clarity with a balanced top and bottom half. Unless I'm missing something, the Sans is more dungeon drive everybody deaf. The MXR can also be had for $100 used and MF had them not long ago for $135 shipped new.

I'll toss feedback/comparison on both of them in the Dimento preamp experiment thread once I've had sufficient exposure to both of them. That's probably a week or two on down the road.

I'm not into pedal/effects stuff but I check different pieces out periodically that seem worthy and these were a couple that have been on the hitlist for a while.

Anything that is this cheap, compact, has an established reputation, and has significant impact on tone is worth looking into, especially external stuff that is plug n play/unplug n play.

Amps, cabs, basses and the heavier more expensive stuff in general you're more likely to take a hit on in terms of cost/satisfaction, more complicated with more things to go wrong, and a less practical option from the shipping cost standpoint alone.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

just remembered another piece worth looking into would be a Yamaha Nathan East NE-1. Don't know what they're going for on ebay lately but it should be reasonably close to $50 or less. Little different in that it's a parametric eq but puts out a quality fat tone at half the price of a Sans and gives you another option to look at if coin is a factor.

6. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    thanks for the advice mate im going to start looking into sansamps