1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pick up upgrades for Spector?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wdinc01, Apr 15, 2006.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Alright, I just got a new Spector yesterday (love it, by the way). It's a Legend (I believe from 2005) with PJ pick up and active electronics (V-V-T-3 band EQ).

Now I love this thing, and I can just get alot of tones out of it. I was just wondering, mostly out of curiousity, if there was any upgrades to the electronics/pick ups I should consider down the road. Thanks in advance for any help.

Also, seeing as this is my first bass with active anything, how long do you usually go before you change the battery? And is there a way I can tell it needs changing?

2. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    you said you have P/J pick ups right,check to see if they are the high end EMG'S if not that would be a good upgrade.
    batteries last depending on how much you use it(never leave the cord plug into the bass) it will drain it quick,i've heard people change theirs every six months some a year.

3. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Alright. Thanks. And how do I check if they're high-end EMG's?

4. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    on the pick up it would say either EMG,EMG HZ,SELECT BY EMG . ..........

EMG=would be the good ones or high end
    EMG HZ=passive pick ups
    SELECT BY EMG=lower kind of EMG'S
    you might just have the good ones!
    http://www.emgpickups.com/

this site will give you a better idea,i hope it helps..:bassist:

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Legends ship with passive pickups, I believe the classics have the SSDs and the Customs have the HZs. (info from Professional series page on spectorbass.com)

If you have the P/J version, I think they're HZs, previous to this the Selects were only used in the Peformer series (Legends are in the Professiona series.)

6. OmBot

OmBot

Jan 11, 2006
    Oslo, Norway
    Legends have EMG-HZ as stock pickups, I have one myself and are relatively satisfied.
    Considering to treat myself to a set of Bartolini P/J's though... :)