Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick-up

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by FatDaddyBlues, Feb 27, 2001.

1. FatDaddyBlues

FatDaddyBlues

Feb 27, 2001
    I am in a Blues band and have just aquired an Upright bass. I will also do some combo jazz work. What do you suggest for a pick-up? Our stage volume can get a litlle loud and I am worried about feedback.

Thanks

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Try Bob Gollihur's website. I own 2 K&K products, and am very happy with both. I can never remember the address to the site, but search for any post by Bob, and you'll find a link there.

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
  4. AlexFeldman

AlexFeldman

Jun 18, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    K&K is the way to go. If you have the cash, get the Goldren Trinity mic combined with one of the pickup's that is best suited to your playing situation.

5. FatDaddyBlues

FatDaddyBlues

Feb 27, 2001
    Bob- I've been reading a lot about "The Bass Master Pro" and have heard nothing but good things.... What about in a loud setting such as with the Blues Band??? Will this pick-up feed back?

6. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    The Bass Master Pro's wing-mounted pickup (Bass Max) is especially good at provided high gain before feedback. It is also a part of the Rockabilly system, and you know the volumes those guys usually have to compete with.

The four transducer network component of the Bass Master Pro also adds clarity and string definition to the system -- in the situations you describe, you'd probably lean towards the Bass Max wing pickup for the higher volume blues thang, and tune in more of the other pickup for jazz work, for the enhanced string definition. At least that's how I treat the Bass Master Pro system on my Juzek.

Both transducers have their own EQ section and you can work to their individual strengths. The two pickups make for a pretty versatile setup.

7. FatDaddyBlues

FatDaddyBlues

Feb 27, 2001
    What about the bass max with the trinity mic?

Or would you stay with the Bass Master pro?

8. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    I do have to say that I am liking the mic more as I use it more. Due to prior semi-successful experiences with mics over the years, I figured that reliance on a pickup would be necessary. So far, my adventures with the mic have been very successful, and frankly, I am likely to replace the Bass Master Pro on my Juzek with the Mic/Bass Max combination when I change my bridge this month, though I may have to leave it on for the periodic visitors/demos I do at the house, and so just add the Golden Trinity Upgrade.

Your volume situation may push you towards the Bass Max on particularly loud gigs, but it's hard to say since I don't know "how loud" loud is. But the mic does a great job for me in every situation so far, though I haven't been in a "real loud" place yet with it.

OTOH, you may want to read what other players' unsolicited comments have been: www.gollihur.com/kkbass/comments.html - rather than just rely on my own potentially biased reports.