Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick ups and Gut Strings help!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by ERIC A, Nov 20, 2004.

1. I have just recently purchased a 7/8, 5 string, fully carved bass. I am using a gage pick-up and have always loved it. Unfortunately, it hasn't been working well with the gage pick-up. It's just to boomey. I have tried it through two different GK amps as well as an Acoustic Image. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    Try the B-band pu's.
    I tried the NS Gage, K&K, Underwood & P. Joseph pickups & each of them had their problems.
    With the Gage pick-ups, 2 people including myself noticed the
    same boominess, and also depends on bass too.

With the B-Band I 've had not had too many problems and the pickups sound more the instrument too rather than like the pick-up's personality.

And they are more expensive too.. but after dealing with the other pick-ups- I am pretty happy with them. And they pick up arco fairly well too.

My King with gut strings & my Juzek with Vikes have them and
    the B band brings out their particular sound, rather the of the sound characterics of pick- up (less coloration).
    I'm also using a Mesa Walkabout with EA VL 208 or EA VL 110 too.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I think any pickup that is close to the body is going to sound boomy with gut strings. Gut doesn't have as much definition(well plain gut anyway), and has a strong fundamental. I prefer a mic when amplifying my bass using gut strings if I can't get away with playing acoustic. It is just so much more natural sounding. There are of course some situations where it is difficult to use a mic. It is a trade off.

4. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I have the full circle on my carved bass which has G D A plain gut, and it does a pretty good job. I agree a mic is the way to go but it's just not always possible once the volume level starts to go up.

Kevinlee

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I use Animas and a Realist with no problems.

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Depends on the bass. On some basses the Realist sounds fantastic. On some it sounds boomy. I have had luck with it on a couple DBs I have owned. I wouldn't use a pickup on the bass I have now though. I have it setup with Pirastro Chordas. I wanted to get as close as I could to the PC sound. I just picked up an AKG D112 mic, and it works great. Monte was right when he said you can't make it feed back! Try a few different setups with your bass if you can. There is a setup out there...

7. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    FYI, Animas are not gut cores but are actually silk.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Damn, how bout that? Sure sound like gut.

9. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I thought they were gut too when I used to play them (although Lou Roten has told me that Schertler/Velvet did try and use gut in the early days but had so much trouble - and apparently wasted so much money - trying to get consistent results - without success). At that stage I had never played on gut. Now that I do, I have to say that while the silk is close to gut, it's still not the same. BTW, you'll note that on the Velvet site it says:

Garbo, Anima, Compas 360 and Compas 180 constructed around a core of natural fibres, produce a sound (and feel to the player) which cannot be distinguished from pure gut strings.

10. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    When I got my new Hachez carved bass a few years ago, I initially bought a Realist pickup as an upgrade from an old Fishman BP-100 combined with a Crown condenser mic that I had been using on my previous, lower quality bass. I had exactly the same problems with the Realist on my bass--no amount of eq would get rid of the boominess, and it didn't matter whether I was using the Heliocore orchestral strings that originally came on it or the Obligatos that I quickly substituted. I replaced The Realist with a Schertler StatB and have been happy with the tone I get ever since. I'm still using the Obligatos on the E,A and D strings, and have been using a wonderful Oliv gut string on the G. I can highly recommend this pickup that I believe is actually a mic of some type. I've never had any feedback problems at any level that I've had to play at.

OTOH, I have the modified Realist that Gary Bartig installs on my Eminence which I have strung with Golden Spiral gut G&D strings and Eudoxas gut E & A strings, and I like the sound of the Realist on this instrument. I particularly like the volume that the Realist puts out. I've tried a Full Circle on the Eminence, and while I do like the sound slightly better, the volume output is much lower and I feel like I have to use a pre-amp to fix this. I don't really want to be hauling a lot of extra eqpt with me if I can avoid it.

Erik Hansen
    Los Angeles

11. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Haven't played guts on my bass (New Standard Cleveland) but I also had very good results with the Schertler Stat-B when I put gut-like Innovation Honeys on it. The Stat-B is electrostatic (not piezo) so it has none of the harshness or honkiness of piezos, just a full, clear response that EQs very well. I'd like to add a smaller carved or hybrid bass to my stable someday; at that point I'd consider switching the Cleveland over to gut.