Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick-ups for idiots 101

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tiziano, Oct 14, 2004.

1. tiziano

tiziano

Sep 21, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi all,

I am very new to the world of pick-ups and and trying to
    gather info and understand some terminology.

I am trying to learn about wiring and such so that I can try
    some different PU on my Jbass (don't worry it's not an american/vintage, so I'm willing to take a chance) and to get rid of the noise the electronics make, lots of humming, bad jack, and really noisy tone knob.

If anyone could recommend a book or something that explains wiring, PU, soldering, what kinds of wire, wiring in series/parallel, etc. it would be greatly appreciated.

I am playing through an Ampeg SVT4-PRO head and an Ampeg 410HLF cab.

Thank you very much for your time!

-Tiziano

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

GUITAR ELECTRONICS FOR MUSICIANS is a good book for passive and in general but not worth much for actives - since it has never been upgraded since first written in the 80's. You can buy it at any major music store (Sam Ash, etc.) or online.

There's also a lot good info on the net such as guitar.nuts, etc., and I know there have been posts regarding such sites so a TB search should turn up good info and save a lot of time. Also 90% of what applies to electric guitar applies to bass so don't let that aspect get in your way.

3. tiziano

tiziano

Sep 21, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thank you very much for the info!!!
    I will check out the book and sites.
    Thanks again!
    -Tiziano