pick up's?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, May 4, 2005.

1. Ok about 3 years ago I got a USA Schector jazz bass. The pickup are the type that do not have the covers so the magnets where exposed, my thumb kept getting stuck. So, I had the PU pulled and put in the Carvin J neck and MM bridge PU configueration. The bass sounds pretty good, focused and tight, but maybe a little steril. I would like it to have a more vintage tone (should have replaced w/vintage JJ PU in the 1st place). Would it be worth throwing some Bart's J/MM in? Or am I being a little too nit picky and should stay with what I have? Anyone like the Carvins?

2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Nothing nit picky about not liking a tone. If a bass is not fun to play - time to chuck something.

I've had some Carvin pups and they're no better/worse than the rest. Probably every manufacturer makes pups some players would like and some they wouldn't - at least I sure haven't ran across any manufacturer with a lock on tone.

A Bart is not going to get you a vintage tone in my experience - at least not the typical tone associated with vintage Fenders. And Bart MM's really are remote from the other replacement MM pups in terms of nailing the Ray. The Carvin MM actually does a respectable job but it has exposed poles. The Duncan Mod Flea pup had a smooth face but I've never heard one. Probably your best shot but a hard find. The rest of the MM replacement I know of look like an MM - with exposed poles.

Personally, I'd work on my technique to work with the exposed pole Rays but there's a guy that has a Schaller double J qaud on ebay now that in lining it up with my Ray pup, should be very close to dropping in an MM routing. The Schaller has a vintage tone and is a steal at $24 shipped.

See thread this page or - maybe 2nd by time you read this -Ebay Rec going going gone