Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pick upsthat bring out the acoustical properties of the wood?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 21, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It looks like i am going to have Michael Dolan build be a Violin bass similar this one http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15367 with my specs. I want to have electronics that will bring out the acoustical properites of the instrument but i am looking for clarity with warmth.The bass will be strung with flats. I was thinking maybe Hofner pick ups but i want a littel more diversity in tone with out the overwheling thump. How are aero's i here they are natural sounding?.These pickups would have to be humbucker/soapbars. Thanks

2. As I read your subject the 1st thing I thought of was Aeros- I have them in my Stambaugh 6, & they are so nice. Detailed, natural but not piezo-scratchy. My passive USA J 5 is hotter, but tends to magnify sloppiness much more than the Aeros.

3. MAJOR METAL

Arent Aero's very expensive?.

4. I think they're a bit pricier than say stock EMG's or like that, but not too bad, & definitely worth it. In a custom bass, I don't think you'll really notice the price difference.

5. MAJOR METAL

Cool , do they have a website and are their any clips of them around here?. Thanks for your help.

6. Aeroinstruments.com, I believe. Sorry no linky- a mystery to me. A nearly 1 man shop. Owners name is Larry, IIRC. Very helpful & easy to talk to. Clips, no- not me, but somebody out there must. Your next thread?

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    There are some recordings of an Elrick NJS5 with Aero's on Basstasters.com - linky

8. MAJOR METAL

What about the barts used in the Lakland Hollowbody?, which model are they?.

9. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    They only say Bart humbuckers on lakland website.

But I would say Bartolini would bring that woody sounds.

10. MAJOR METAL

How do Aero's compare in active and passive?.

11. I love my Aeros in either mode. No difference in tone that I can detect, just tons more available bass, mid & treb (via Aggie OBP-3). This setup can REALLY rumble- the bass knob is very powerful (the bass is semi-hollow & neck-through). I have passive tone control, too- love it. If I had to gripe I might ask for more mid boost, but I'm silly for big mids.

12. MAJOR METAL

Interesting i would be using them on a similar bass, can you warm them up and get some thump?. Thanks

13. MAJOR METAL

What model? pick up?. Do you know how you get custom pick ups made from them?.

14. If by thump you mean tubey, middly, cut-through-ishness that almost borders on distortion & is very sensitive to playing dynamics, then, yes. If the active bass knob wasn't so powerful, I would likely be perfectly satisfied w/the available mids- it's just a comparative thing, I think. I hope this makes sense...

15. Sorry, you posted while I was 'hunting & pecking'. I'm not sure what model you would call these; they came on a custom Stambaugh, & he (Chris Stambaugh) talked to the Aero guy. I have talked to the Aero guy- Larry something, IIRC. He was willing to make me a one-off magnetic pickup to my specs, for a EUB I'm building, so I'm sure he could build you whatever you want. Call them.

16. MAJOR METAL

I am open to any other sugestions.

17. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    How about the Darkstars? I don't have any experience with them so this post maybe entirely worthless and I might jeopardize the value of our time... but I haven't heard one bad thing about them. I'm saving up as of now in anticipation of grabbing one of Lakland's next basses, the "hornet" or whatever it's going to be called, and that 44 series with the pup right in p position. Should be insane.

18. MAJOR METAL

Thanks i will read up on them.

19. Heard of Villex? Passive w/midrange, made by an ex-Soviet rocket scientist IIRC. They have a website.

20. MAJOR METAL

Does anyone know who makes a pick up like the ones in the above bass?