Pick users...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by PuNk BaSSisT, May 5, 2001.

1. PuNk BaSSisT

PuNk BaSSisT

May 1, 2001
    For all you bassists who use a pick, how thick and what brand do you use?

I use pink .58mm Dunlop Tortex picks.
  2. berserk

Aug 24, 2000
    Parma, Ohio
    I play in fingerstyle and with picks. I cover using whatever the bassist uses, so thats when picks come into play. When I play with picks i have several favorites. Depending on what i'm playing I use three different picks. Most often if playing pick I use Dunlop 1 mm (blue)triangles (those are for Metal primarily because they are stiff and i can get a good grip and go crazy). When i'm playing punk or straight root note stuff its usually dunlop 1.5 mm (green)Gator Grips (with these you can just play fast forever and wont drop the pick). If the music requires stuff that is all over the neck and i feel like using picks its either 1mm (black)or 1.14mm (pink) dunlop nylons because they flex which makes working between strings easy (they also last a long time).
  3. I play mostly punk stuff and I use 1.14mm Dunlop Tortex picks.
  4. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I play different style and I could not find anything better than the .88mm Green Dunlop Tortex. They sound good and you can use them fast enough..

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Wow, no pick haters yet?!? ;)

Thin red Sharkfins
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Marbled Fender Medium. I only use a pick when covering an artist who does.
  7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
  8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
  9. Dunlop Tortex .88mm (green)
  10. i don't play many songs with a pick, so i just grab the red dunlop heavy picks that i use for acoustic guitar. i've been meaning to try out those tortexes.
  11. They're pretty good. The thinner ones (.73 and .88) anyway. The thicker ones arent good IMO because the pick is the same thickness the whole way around and when they are that thick, it is hard to pick through the string. I think picks should have a tapered edge.

Jim dunlop gel picks are cool.

What are the gator grips like? How are they different from tortex?
  12. PuNk BaSSisT

PuNk BaSSisT

May 1, 2001
    Gator grips are a lot more "ruff" on the surface and they help you keep a hold on the pick while playing. I'm switching over to those soon because i tried out one of my guitarists and their really good.

I guess i'm the only one who uses thin picks. I find it a lot easier and it sounds better for punk music.
  13. Either Dunlop 1mm or the green Tortex ones. Dava "control" picks are ok too, but i havent used one for ages.

I find anything i can see through (except the "teardrop" thick as bricks ones) tends to snap.
  14. I use Modulus 1mm carbon-fiber picks. They're stiffer than Gibson XH picks and they NEVER wear. At $25 for 100, they're also a good deal. Go to Modulus' website (http://www.modulusguitars.com) and check 'em out.
  15. Big stubby 3mm picks ............yuppers
  16. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Picks? Why Why Why!!!!
  17. I dont use picks often.. only when i want that kind of clicky sound which is fun sometimes, but gets very annoying, but I use just some fender mediums, it gives me that punk sound that sometimes sounds good. I know that one of the better bass players i've seen in a long time plays with a pick a lot of the time is matt wong from reel big fish, he can go fast as hell!
    PS A pick will never see my stingray, only my P Bass
  18. Oh christ, here we go again ...
  19. PuNk BaSSisT

PuNk BaSSisT

May 1, 2001
    Please don't turn this thread into a "pick vs. fingers" thread. I just want to know more about my fellow pick users. :D
  20. I think there's a definite difference in tone between the "rubbery" or soft plastic picks (eg Dunlop) and hard plastic picks (eg tortex) as well as obviously different thicknesses.

Those of you who use the "teardrop" chunky ones, what advantages / disadvantages do you find?