Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pick vs fingers for punk

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by boxcarracer, Sep 17, 2002.

1. boxcarracer

boxcarracer

Sep 17, 2002
    I've just started playing bass with a view to play in new school punk bands (blink 182 stylee) should i use a pick or not?

2. PICK for PUNK
    FINGERS for FUNK
    EITHER/OR FOR ROCK N' ROLL

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    what do your ears tell you?

4. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    I actually play stuff like that with my fingers. If I want a pick like tone I use my finger nail.

I've learned that if you play fingerstyle, you can do a lot more. If you're holding a pick, it's hard to slap and stuff. Not that you'd be slapping during Blink 182 songs probably but uh, yeah. Whatever works for you.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd personally say both. Play whatever the song calls for.

6. exactly. i play about 50/50. on some songs, for whatever reason, my bass doesn't cut through right without a pick. and on some songs, i just don't get enough thud with a pick. i don't ask why, i just switch off, and it works...

7. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    I can't post here until I learn to control my childish impulses. I must now say to myself daily "My opionions are not fact."

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    That was uncalled for. If he likes Blink182, than that´s his business, not yours.

Anyway, try to learn as many styles as possible. Using the pick is pretty much the standard for punk though. But it´s very good to have both finger and pick techniques in your arsenal.

9. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    oh come on it was a joke. :p

everyone has different opinions of music, being able to express them is what matters. it would be wrong if i deleted someone's post for saying they liked a band.

10. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    There will be no further warnings.

11. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Old school punk... The Ramones, Dead Boys, Fear, etc. all played with a pick and played only downstrokes.

There really isn't a preferred method. Like others have said, whatever sounds good to you.

12. Pick.

13. i use a pick for most punk(blink especially)...only cos my fingers get to tired playing blink-type stuff... but as the others said whatever sounds right to you!

14. For punk you should use a pick. Blink especially

15. Chip

Chip

May 2, 2000
    dont always be so blunt fingers or pick
    i use fingers for metal.... on a fretless :)

16. On a fretless :), great. I am mainly into metal, and I always loved playing fretless.
    But somehow I never could combine the 2.
    I resorted into going back to fretted for metal, and pick up my fretless sometimes, but that's for fusion.
    Do you know any recordings where a fretless is applied in metal ?

I think fingers for metal are really great, you can create much more speed.
    Perhaps a pick gives a little bit of a punk feeling, although Justin from Tool, his tone's rule.

17. Chip

Chip

May 2, 2000
    i dont think anyone has actually used a fretless (let alone with fingers) for metal

18. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    click here

19. I think I remember a song from Iced Earth, Dracula.
    But it's more a-ballad-from-a-tuff-metalband kinda song.

I'm a bit confused about your opinion about using fingers for metal, you're not against it, aren't you ? Or do you mean fingers + fretless for metal. And rather have a fretless with pick for metal if it has to be done with a fretless ?

When I play metal: I play with fingers on a fretted.
    In my new fusion band: I play with pick on a fretless.
    Strange isn't it ? :D

20. Chip

Chip

May 2, 2000
    i wouldnt call that metal :)
    i'm talking about pantera, metallica and stuff like that ;)